Обсуждение: Advise on restoring from FileSystem backup

Advise on restoring from FileSystem backup

От
"Porwal, Utkarsh"

Hi All,

I am taking a filesystem backup of the postgress data directory with the db stopped since I don’t have pg_dump backups. Can you suggest how to restore it from this backup?

Can I stop the db, delete the actual data directory and move back the backed up data directory and start postgress?

Thanks and Regards,

Utkarsh Porwal

Re: Advise on restoring from FileSystem backup

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
On Sep 7, 2015, at 10:48 AM, Porwal, Utkarsh <utkarsh.porwal@emc.com> wrote:

> Can I stop the db, delete the actual data directory and move back the backed up data directory and start postgress?

Yes, but first move the current data directory, don't delete it until you're sure the new is working.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com

Re: Advise on restoring from FileSystem backup

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
On Sep 7, 2015, at 10:55 AM, Porwal, Utkarsh <utkarsh.porwal@emc.com> wrote:

> But the filesystem backup should work, isn't it?

Yes, if:

- You've actually stopped the db when you think you have.
- You've actually correctly copied the data directory.
- Nothing mysterious was modifying the data while you were copying it.