Обсуждение: Safe to delete archived log files generated by ongoing transaction?

Safe to delete archived log files generated by ongoing transaction?

От
Mitchell Bösecke
Дата:
Hi,

I have a long running transaction (> 24 hours) running on a development machine and so far it's generated more than 50 gigs of log files which are being archived to another disk. That disk is starting to run low and I'm wondering if deleting these logs will affect the ongoing transaction at all? I.e. does a commit or a rollback require access to the original transaction logs?

The postgresql instance is version 9.2, the base backup was generated using the pg_basebackup utility with the "--xlog" parameter so if necessary I should also be able to recover without the use of those log files, correct?

--
Mitchell Bosecke, B.Sc.
Software Developer

FORCORP
#101, 11710 Kingsway NW
Edmonton , AB, T5G 0X5

(o) 780.452.5878 ext. 263
(f) 780.453.3986

Re: Safe to delete archived log files generated by ongoing transaction?

От
Albe Laurenz
Дата:
Mitchell Bösecke wrote:
> I have a long running transaction (> 24 hours) running on a development machine and so far it's
> generated more than 50 gigs of log files which are being archived to another disk. That disk is
> starting to run low and I'm wondering if deleting these logs will affect the ongoing transaction at
> all? I.e. does a commit or a rollback require access to the original transaction logs?

The database server will not be affected if you delete the WAL archives.

> The postgresql instance is version 9.2, the base backup was generated using the pg_basebackup utility
> with the "--xlog" parameter so if necessary I should also be able to recover without the use of those
> log files, correct?

However, you will lose the ability to do point-in-time recovery.

So if you have such a backup, you can restore it, but you will lose the
ability to replay any of the changes that happened since.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe