Обсуждение: PostgreSQL isn't enough scalable as Oracle or DB2

PostgreSQL isn't enough scalable as Oracle or DB2

От
Oscar Calderon
Дата:
Hi, have a nice day. I'm reading about PostgreSQL Architecture Fundamentals for taking the Associate Exam, and i found this article:

I was reading the Scalability section, where it mentions this:

Even though the query receiving thread is alone it still offers better or equal scalability to MySQL. In terms of multi-computer scalability, PostgreSQL does not scale at all. For large cluster based clustering, commercial database systems are by far more mature; some good implementations include Oracle and DB2.

The article is from 2009 and i know that PostgreSQL has been getting better and better but i don't know if this is true or if this have been surpassed or if it was a lie.

Regards.

***************************
Oscar Calderon
Analista de Sistemas
Soluciones Aplicativas S.A. de C.V.
www.solucionesaplicativas.com
Cel. (503) 7741 7850 Tel. (503) 2522-2834

Re: PostgreSQL isn't enough scalable as Oracle or DB2

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Oscar Calderon
<ocalderon@solucionesaplicativas.com> wrote:

> http://reshmaparveen.blogspot.com/2009/12/postgresql-system-architecture.html
>
> I was reading the Scalability section, where it mentions this:
>
> Even though the query receiving thread is alone it still offers better or
> equal scalability to MySQL. In terms of multi-computer scalability,
> PostgreSQL does not scale at all.

This statement was wrong in 2009 and it's still wrong today. We were
using slony well before 2009 with read slaves to handle massive read
loads. While muti-master setups are still pretty new in the PostgreSQL
universe, there are some seups like Bucardo. Of course this paper
doesn't mention whether or not they're referring to shared storage or
separate storage, and what kind of loads would be expected. RedHat
Cluster server can provide failover etc. There are several different
options that pre-date this article.

The fact that it then goes on the sing the praises of MySQL clusters
as reliable and stable makes me question the whole article.

Re: PostgreSQL isn't enough scalable as Oracle or DB2

От
Korry Douglas

[...]

And, the page mentioned above seems to be copied verbatim (and without attribution) from a 2004 paper here:

    http:// www.benjaminarai.com/downloads/whitepapers/postgresql.doc‎

                -- Korry

Re: PostgreSQL isn't enough scalable as Oracle or DB2

От
Oscar Calderon
Дата:
Ahh ok, yeah both emails are very useful. I also thought about replication but because in the article is covered as a separated topic i thought that it had nothing to do with scalability.

Regards and thanks.