Обсуждение: Using BSD/OS with 8.1, 8.4 and 9.3

Using BSD/OS with 8.1, 8.4 and 9.3

От
The Doctor
Дата:
All right, finally compiled more semaphores
into the server to use more recent and supported PostGRESQL version.

Odd problem is that 8.1 seems to perfrom better than

8.4 compile and 9.3 compiled.

Question: is their anything I should tweek?

--
Member - Liberal International    This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k  Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism

Re: Using BSD/OS with 8.1, 8.4 and 9.3

Дата:
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 04:32:04PM -0700, The Doctor wrote:
> All right, finally compiled more semaphores
> into the server to use more recent and supported PostGRESQL version.
>
> Odd problem is that 8.1 seems to perfrom better than
>
> 8.4 compile and 9.3 compiled.
>
> Question: is their anything I should tweek?

Wow, what version of BSD/OS are you using?  We removed BSD/OS support in
Postgres 9.2.  I ran BSD/OS until December 2011.

Usually Postgres gets faster so I am unclear why older versions would be
faster.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: Using BSD/OS with 8.1, 8.4 and 9.3

От
The Doctor
Дата:
oN tHU, fEb 13, 2014 at 08:06:16PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 04:32:04PM -0700, The Doctor wrote:
> > All right, finally compiled more semaphores
> > into the server to use more recent and supported PostGRESQL version.
> >
> > Odd problem is that 8.1 seems to perfrom better than
> >
> > 8.4 compile and 9.3 compiled.
> >
> > Question: is their anything I should tweek?
>
> Wow, what version of BSD/OS are you using?  We removed BSD/OS support in
> Postgres 9.2.  I ran BSD/OS until December 2011.
>
> Usually Postgres gets faster so I am unclear why older versions would be
> faster.

4.3.1 using 4GB Ram and 3+ Dual 32-bit XEON CPUs.

I wonder if the configuration has something to do
with the proble,

BTW for 93. + FreeBSD does well thank you.

--
Member - Liberal International    This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k  Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
He will always be a slave who does not know how to live upon a little.  -Horace

Re: Using BSD/OS with 8.1, 8.4 and 9.3

Дата:
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 08:16:19PM -0700, The Doctor wrote:
> oN tHU, fEb 13, 2014 at 08:06:16PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 04:32:04PM -0700, The Doctor wrote:
> > > All right, finally compiled more semaphores
> > > into the server to use more recent and supported PostGRESQL version.
> > >
> > > Odd problem is that 8.1 seems to perfrom better than
> > >
> > > 8.4 compile and 9.3 compiled.
> > >
> > > Question: is their anything I should tweek?
> >
> > Wow, what version of BSD/OS are you using?  We removed BSD/OS support in
> > Postgres 9.2.  I ran BSD/OS until December 2011.
> >
> > Usually Postgres gets faster so I am unclear why older versions would be
> > faster.
>
> 4.3.1 using 4GB Ram and 3+ Dual 32-bit XEON CPUs.
>
> I wonder if the configuration has something to do
> with the proble,

Uh, I was not aware of any performance problems when I was running
BSD/OS.

> BTW for 93. + FreeBSD does well thank you.

Yeah, we thought I was the only BSD/OS user left on PG, so when I left,
we removed support for the platform.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: Using BSD/OS with 8.1, 8.4 and 9.3

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 08:16:19PM -0700, The Doctor wrote:
> > oN tHU, fEb 13, 2014 at 08:06:16PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > BTW for 93. + FreeBSD does well thank you.
>
> Yeah, we thought I was the only BSD/OS user left on PG, so when I left,
> we removed support for the platform.

There was also the small detail that BSD/OS in its entirety has been out
of support for ten years now.  FreeBSD 10.0 was released this year, so
at least that one can claim it's still alive.

Re: Using BSD/OS with 8.1, 8.4 and 9.3

От
Achilleas Mantzios
Дата:
On 14/02/2014 16:52, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 08:16:19PM -0700, The Doctor wrote:
>>> oN tHU, fEb 13, 2014 at 08:06:16PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> BTW for 93. + FreeBSD does well thank you.
>> Yeah, we thought I was the only BSD/OS user left on PG, so when I left,
>> we removed support for the platform.
> There was also the small detail that BSD/OS in its entirety has been out
> of support for ten years now.  FreeBSD 10.0 was released this year, so
> at least that one can claim it's still alive.

Not until Netcraft confirms so.

Sorry couldn't resist!

--
Achilleas Mantzios
Head of IT DEV

Re: Using BSD/OS with 8.1, 8.4 and 9.3

От
The Doctor
Дата:
On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 09:39:39AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 08:16:19PM -0700, The Doctor wrote:
> > oN tHU, fEb 13, 2014 at 08:06:16PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Wow, what version of BSD/OS are you using?  We removed BSD/OS support in
> > > Postgres 9.2.  I ran BSD/OS until December 2011.
> > >
> > > Usually Postgres gets faster so I am unclear why older versions would be
> > > faster.
> >
> > 4.3.1 using 4GB Ram and 3+ Dual 32-bit XEON CPUs.
> >
> > I wonder if the configuration has something to do
> > with the proble,
>
> Uh, I was not aware of any performance problems when I was running
> BSD/OS.

Well I had to tweak the kernel and add more semaphores.

I also noted the 8.4 and 9.2 compiles were slightly different from the
8.1 compile.

> > BTW for 93. + FreeBSD does well thank you.
>
> Yeah, we thought I was the only BSD/OS user left on PG, so when I left,
> we removed support for the platform.

No worries.  I am the last holdout looking to port everything to more powerful
FreBSD 9.2 or above server.

I just do not have the money.

--
Member - Liberal International    This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k  Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
He will always be a slave who does not know how to live upon a little.  -Horace

Re: Using BSD/OS with 8.1, 8.4 and 9.3

От
The Doctor
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 04:32:04PM -0700, The Doctor wrote:
> All right, finally compiled more semaphores
> into the server to use more recent and supported PostGRESQL version.
>
> Odd problem is that 8.1 seems to perform better than
>
> 8.4 compile and 9.3 compiled.
>
> Question: is their anything I should tweek?

Think I have narrowed the problem to the serendipity blog
software.

In 8,1 (discontinued)  It works well.

All I did was a dump based on

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Converting_MySQL_TO_PostgreSQL

Using the CSV method.

Something in the software/tables
does not jive when a pg_dump then a normal restore procedure.

I need to export the DB into a set of CSV files

then restore after using the CSV files.

Any method of doing this?

--
Member - Liberal International    This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k  Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
He will always be a slave who does not know how to live upon a little.  -Horace

Re: Using BSD/OS with 8.1, 8.4 and 9.3

От
The Doctor
Дата:
On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 12:16:32PM -0700, The Doctor wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 04:32:04PM -0700, The Doctor wrote:
> > All right, finally compiled more semaphores
> > into the server to use more recent and supported PostGRESQL version.
> >
> > Odd problem is that 8.1 seems to perform better than
> >
> > 8.4 compile and 9.3 compiled.
> >
> > Question: is their anything I should tweek?
> >

> Think I have narrowed the problem to the serendipity blog
> software.
>
> In 8,1 (discontinued)  It works well.
>
> All I did was a dump based on
>
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Converting_MySQL_TO_PostgreSQL
>
> Using the CSV method.
>
> Something in the software/tables
> does not jive when a pg_dump then a normal restore procedure.
>
> I need to export the DB into a set of CSV files
>
> then restore after using the CSV files.
>
> Any method of doing this?

Found out the real problem.

The main Serendipity Developer , Garvin Hicking, said

"I remember PGSql at soem point dropping some OID-related feature, which
s9y (serendipity) requires for autoincrements".

Is their any way of resolving this matter?

Also can I encourage Gavin to join one of the PGsql Groups?

Why am I asking this?

Serendipity is easier than Wordpress and Serendipity does support
PostgreSQL unlike Wordpress which is strictly MySQl only.

--
Member - Liberal International    This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k  Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
We regret the past we cannot fix at the expense of the now which we can.-unknown

Re: Using BSD/OS with 8.1, 8.4 and 9.3

От
Achilleas Mantzios
Дата:
On 18/02/2014 16:26, The Doctor wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 12:16:32PM -0700, The Doctor wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 04:32:04PM -0700, The Doctor wrote:
>>> All right, finally compiled more semaphores
>>> into the server to use more recent and supported PostGRESQL version.
>>>
>>> Odd problem is that 8.1 seems to perform better than
>>>
>>> 8.4 compile and 9.3 compiled.
>>>
>>> Question: is their anything I should tweek?
>>>

>> Think I have narrowed the problem to the serendipity blog
>> software.
>>
>> In 8,1 (discontinued)  It works well.
>>
>> All I did was a dump based on
>>
>> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Converting_MySQL_TO_PostgreSQL
>>
>> Using the CSV method.
>>
>> Something in the software/tables
>> does not jive when a pg_dump then a normal restore procedure.
>>
>> I need to export the DB into a set of CSV files
>>
>> then restore after using the CSV files.
>>
>> Any method of doing this?
>>

> Found out the real problem.
>
> The main Serendipity Developer , Garvin Hicking, said
>
> "I remember PGSql at soem point dropping some OID-related feature, which
> s9y (serendipity) requires for autoincrements".
>
> Is their any way of resolving this matter?
>
> Also can I encourage Gavin to join one of the PGsql Groups?
>
> Why am I asking this?
>
> Serendipity is easier than Wordpress and Serendipity does support
> PostgreSQL unlike Wordpress which is strictly MySQl only.

try playing with default_with_oids :

set default_with_oids TO true;
or set it in your postgresql.conf

--