Обсуждение: Restore after using pg_dumpall

Restore after using pg_dumpall

От
Asmus Reinhard

Hallo,

between

pg_dumpall > alldb.sql (store)

and

psql –f alldb.sql postgres (restore)

is it necessary to drop existing objects (for example roles, …) ?

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Restore after using pg_dumpall

От
raghu ram

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM, Asmus Reinhard <Reinhard.Asmus@spdfraktion.de> wrote:

Hallo,

between

pg_dumpall > alldb.sql (store)

According above command,you are taking all databases dump  in plain text format  which are available in PostgreSQL cluster running on 5432 port number.

and

psql –f alldb.sql postgres (restore)

is it necessary to drop existing objects (for example roles, …) ?

According to above command,Restoring plain text dumpfile into same PostgreSQL cluster running on 5432 port number.

If my assumptions are correct then you should drop existing database objects.

Thanks & Regards
Raghu Ram

Re: Restore after using pg_dumpall

От
Samrat Revagade
Дата:
>pg_dumpall > alldb.sql (store)
>and
>psql -f alldb.sql postgres (restore)
>is it necessary to drop existing objects (for example roles, ...) ?
>Any help is appreciated.

I think it is not necessary. pg_dumpall supports dumping of the entire
contents of a database cluster,  It backs up each database in a given
cluster, and also *preserves cluster-wide data such as role and tablespace
definition*s. hence if you want to take backup for entire cluster then you
can directly use pg_dumpall.

or if you have any specific need then you can use pg_dump and manually
preserve/delete other database objects .

-----
Greetings,
Samrat Revagade,
NTT-DATA-OSS Center (Pune)