Обсуждение: Upgrading from 9.1 to 9.2 - master AND slave

Upgrading from 9.1 to 9.2 - master AND slave

От
Wells Oliver
Дата:
Following up to my earlier post: I have a master and a slave server (using WAL), both 9.1. My 9.2 upgrade process is:

1) stop postgres on both servers
2) run pg_upgrade --link on both servers
3) change ports so 9.2 is on 5432, 9.1 on 5433
4) restart

Is this the best way to do it and ensure that the WAL is still being created and the master/slave relationship properly maintained?

Thanks.

--
Wells Oliver
wellsoliver@gmail.com

Re: Upgrading from 9.1 to 9.2 - master AND slave

От
Sergey Konoplev
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Wells Oliver <wellsoliver@gmail.com> wrote:
> Following up to my earlier post: I have a master and a slave server (using
> WAL), both 9.1. My 9.2 upgrade process is:
>
> 1) stop postgres on both servers
> 2) run pg_upgrade --link on both servers
> 3) change ports so 9.2 is on 5432, 9.1 on 5433
> 4) restart
>
> Is this the best way to do it and ensure that the WAL is still being created
> and the master/slave relationship properly maintained?

The problem is that after pg_upgrade the system catalog on the servers
wont match. Therefore you need to rebuild your slave from scratch.

There were some ideas around rsync [1], however, nobody proved that
they work appropriately.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20120320204916.GB26163@momjian.us

--
Kind regards,
Sergey Konoplev

Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/grayhemp
Phone: USA +1 (415) 867-9984, Russia +7 (901) 903-0499, +7 (988) 888-1979
Skype: gray-hemp
Jabber: gray.ru@gmail.com

Re: Upgrading from 9.1 to 9.2 - master AND slave

Дата:
On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 09:31:16PM -0700, Sergey Konoplev wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Wells Oliver <wellsoliver@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Following up to my earlier post: I have a master and a slave server (using
> > WAL), both 9.1. My 9.2 upgrade process is:
> >
> > 1) stop postgres on both servers
> > 2) run pg_upgrade --link on both servers
> > 3) change ports so 9.2 is on 5432, 9.1 on 5433
> > 4) restart
> >
> > Is this the best way to do it and ensure that the WAL is still being created
> > and the master/slave relationship properly maintained?
>
> The problem is that after pg_upgrade the system catalog on the servers
> wont match. Therefore you need to rebuild your slave from scratch.
>
> There were some ideas around rsync [1], however, nobody proved that
> they work appropriately.
>
> [1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20120320204916.GB26163@momjian.us

Yes, though there was discussion about this at PGCon 2013 and I plan to
work on this for 9.4.