Обсуждение: Ubuntu Precise and auto startup of pg databases

Ubuntu Precise and auto startup of pg databases

От
Tony Dare
Дата:
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but i found that the
/etc/init.d/postgresql script simply would not start up my databases
after a reboot.  though it worked fine just after creating the database
and getting all the config files in the expected places.  Was able to
down and up the dbs all day long, if I wished. Then I rebooted and there
was no databases started.  Executing /etc/init.d/postgresql start 9.2
resulted in "No database clusters on the system" or suchlike.

I tracked the problem down to the script calling on pg_lsclusters, which
in turn looks for a /var/run/postgresql directory.  All well and good,
except that /var/run/postgresql is on a tempfs filesystem and is wiped
out after a reboot. (Q: should that even be on a tempfs?)

The start command in /etc/init.d/postgresql does this check and then
executes the function that will/can create the /var/run/postgresql if
the aforementioned check passes...which it won't.  So instead you get a
message that there are no database clusters on the server.

It's a fairly new install of 12.04 and I was wondering if subsequent
updates take care of it or am I going to have to hack the start/stop
script and maintain that over package updates?

Ubuntu 12.04
postgresql 9.2.0.4
x86_64
2 CPUs

Thanks

Tony Dare

Slony replication stopped replicating

От
Bambi Bellows
Дата:
Hi Gang!

Slony replication has stopped replicating, and I'm not sure why, or how to get it replicating again.  I have bounced
Slonyon the master and all the remote nodes, but no luck.  Is there a Slony expert out there who can help point me in
theright direction?

Thanks!
Bambi.

This email and any files included with it may contain privileged,
proprietary and/or confidential information that is for the sole use
of the intended recipient(s).  Any disclosure, copying, distribution,
posting, or use of the information contained in or attached to this
email is prohibited unless permitted by the sender.  If you have
received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender
via return email, telephone, or fax and destroy this original transmission
and its included files without reading or saving it in any manner.
Thank you.

Re: Slony replication stopped replicating

От
Raghavendra
Дата:
Slony replication has stopped replicating, and I'm not sure why, or how to get it replicating again.  I have bounced Slony on the master and all the remote nodes, but no luck.  Is there a Slony expert out there who can help point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Bambi.

Request you to post your question on Slony-I forum for appropriate help. Also share below details while posting your question on slony-I forum.

1. Slony-I version  (slon -v)
2. Slony-I logs (last few lines )
3. Also PostgreSQL version.

Slony-I mailing list address:

slony1-general@lists.slony.info

---
Regards,
Raghavendra
EnterpriseDB Corporation

Re: Slony replication stopped replicating

От
Bambi Bellows

On the prowl for the logs... meantime, here's the version info:

$ slonik -v

slonik version 2.1.0.b2

$ psql

psql (9.0.4)

[...]

Re: Ubuntu Precise and auto startup of pg databases

Дата:
Tony Dare <wadedare4703@comcast.net> writes:
> I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but i found that the
> /etc/init.d/postgresql script simply would not start up my databases
> after a reboot.  though it worked fine just after creating the database
> and getting all the config files in the expected places.  Was able to
> down and up the dbs all day long, if I wished. Then I rebooted and there
> was no databases started.  Executing /etc/init.d/postgresql start 9.2
> resulted in "No database clusters on the system" or suchlike.

> I tracked the problem down to the script calling on pg_lsclusters, which
> in turn looks for a /var/run/postgresql directory.  All well and good,
> except that /var/run/postgresql is on a tempfs filesystem and is wiped
> out after a reboot. (Q: should that even be on a tempfs?)

You should complain about that to the Ubuntu packager (ie, file an
Ubuntu bug).  It's unlikely that that person reads this list ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Ubuntu Precise and auto startup of pg databases

От
"Christofer C. Bell"
Дата:
On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Tony Dare <wadedare4703@comcast.net> writes:
> I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but i found that the
> /etc/init.d/postgresql script simply would not start up my databases
> after a reboot.  though it worked fine just after creating the database
> and getting all the config files in the expected places.  Was able to
> down and up the dbs all day long, if I wished. Then I rebooted and there
> was no databases started.  Executing /etc/init.d/postgresql start 9.2
> resulted in "No database clusters on the system" or suchlike.

> I tracked the problem down to the script calling on pg_lsclusters, which
> in turn looks for a /var/run/postgresql directory.  All well and good,
> except that /var/run/postgresql is on a tempfs filesystem and is wiped
> out after a reboot. (Q: should that even be on a tempfs?)

You should complain about that to the Ubuntu packager (ie, file an
Ubuntu bug).  It's unlikely that that person reads this list ...

I'm not sure even that's appropriate.  The version of PostgreSQL that comes with Ubuntu 12.04, is 9.1, not 9.2 (there's an option for 8.3).  Either the original poster has made a typo in his post, or he's installed PostgreSQL either by hand or from an unofficial package repository.

I have been using PostgreSQL 9.1 for months under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, as installed from the Ubuntu repositories, without any issue whatsoever.

--
Chris

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the Universe." -- Carl Sagan

Re: Ubuntu Precise and auto startup of pg databases

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 1:16 AM, Christofer C. Bell
<christofer.c.bell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>
>> Tony Dare <wadedare4703@comcast.net> writes:
>> > I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but i found that the
>> > /etc/init.d/postgresql script simply would not start up my databases
>> > after a reboot.  though it worked fine just after creating the database
>> > and getting all the config files in the expected places.  Was able to
>> > down and up the dbs all day long, if I wished. Then I rebooted and there
>> > was no databases started.  Executing /etc/init.d/postgresql start 9.2
>> > resulted in "No database clusters on the system" or suchlike.
>>
>> > I tracked the problem down to the script calling on pg_lsclusters, which
>> > in turn looks for a /var/run/postgresql directory.  All well and good,
>> > except that /var/run/postgresql is on a tempfs filesystem and is wiped
>> > out after a reboot. (Q: should that even be on a tempfs?)
>>
>> You should complain about that to the Ubuntu packager (ie, file an
>> Ubuntu bug).  It's unlikely that that person reads this list ...
>

> I'm not sure even that's appropriate.  The version of PostgreSQL that comes
> with Ubuntu 12.04, is 9.1, not 9.2 (there's an option for 8.3).  Either the
> original poster has made a typo in his post, or he's installed PostgreSQL
> either by hand or from an unofficial package repository.

The repository at apt.postgresql.org fully supports 9.2 on Ubuntu
12.04, so it could be that.

However, the version referenced is postgresql 9.2.0.4, which is not a
PostgreSQL version number. But if it means 9.2.4, then that could
certainly be it.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/