Обсуждение: Best practice to create a read-only user?

Best practice to create a read-only user?

От
matthias ritzkowski
Дата:
Hello,

Usually I would

create user uuu password 'ppp';
GRANT usage on schema zzz to uuu;
GRANT select on all tables in schema zzz to uuu;

But just this morning someone used
create user uuu password 'ppp';
alter user uuu set default_transaction_read_only = on;
GRANT select on all tables in schema zzz to uuu;

So I only added the grant usage and it worked fine.
What do people use day to day?

I had frankly never explored the default_transaction_read_only
parameter ...

--

regards
Matthias Ritzkowski

Re: Best practice to create a read-only user?

От
"E. S."
Дата:
default_transaction_read_only is just a default. Users can still disable it for themselves and it is not intended to act as a security measure. In the second example, user uuu could still create and modify data for which s/he has the privileges granted to do so by first issuing a "set transaction read write".

GRANT select on all tables in schema zzz to uuu;

But just this morning someone used
create user uuu password 'ppp';
alter user uuu set default_transaction_read_only = on;
GRANT select on all tables in schema zzz to uuu;

So I only added the grant usage and it worked fine.
What do people use day to day?

I had frankly never explored the default_transaction_read_only
parameter ...

--

regards
Matthias Ritzkowski
-marlinmobile-

Re: Best practice to create a read-only user?

От
Sergey Konoplev
Дата:
On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 7:03 AM, matthias ritzkowski
<matthias@marlinmobile.com> wrote:
> What do people use day to day?

I usually set default privileges for user postgres like below and
create end users in particular roles, either role_ro for read only or
role_rw for read-write access. All the database objects one need the
default privileges to be applied to must be created with user
postgres.

ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES FOR ROLE postgres
    GRANT SELECT ON SEQUENCES  TO role_ro;
ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES FOR ROLE postgres
    GRANT SELECT ON TABLES  TO role_ro;
ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES FOR ROLE postgres
    GRANT EXECUTE ON FUNCTIONS TO role_ro;

ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES FOR ROLE postgres
    GRANT SELECT,USAGE ON SEQUENCES  TO role_rw;
ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES FOR ROLE postgres
    GRANT SELECT,INSERT,DELETE,UPDATE ON TABLES  TO role_rw;
ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES FOR ROLE postgres
    GRANT EXECUTE ON FUNCTIONS TO role_rw;

--
Kind regards,
Sergey Konoplev

Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/grayhemp
Phone: USA +1 (415) 867-9984, Russia +7 (901) 903-0499, +7 (988) 888-1979
Skype: gray-hemp
Jabber: gray.ru@gmail.com