Обсуждение: autovacuum

autovacuum

От
"suhas.basavaraj12"
Дата:
Hi,

Can i cancel  ongoing autovacuum on a large table? Is it safe?

I am trying to do pg_cancel_backend(procid).Please suggest whether its safe
to do ?

Rgrds
Suhas

Re: autovacuum

От
Greg Williamson

Suhas --

>Can i cancel  ongoing autovacuum on a large table? Is it safe?
>
>I am trying to do pg_cancel_backend(procid).Please suggest whether its safe
>to do ?
>
>Rgrds
>Suhas

I've killed autovac processes manually with no malign effects other than the consequences of not vacuuming the table
involved.

This may depend some on what version of postgres -- that may make a difference. My experience is with 8.4 and 9.1 and
bothhave been OK (although on one database the autovac is set to be very aggressive so it starts again almost
immediately.You may need to tweak the config settings if that is the case).

But I have usually found that autovac solves far more problems than it causes.

You may want to post more details about version and config settings related to autovac that differ from defaults. That
mighthelp get a better answer, and might help with whatever problem you think autovac is causing.

HTH,

Greg Williamson