Обсуждение: changes to postgresql.conf

changes to postgresql.conf

От
Johnny Tan
Дата:
I need to make changes to these settings in postgresql.conf:
* effective_cache_size
* shared_buffers
* work_mem
* maintenance_work_mem

On a live, production server, can I simply do a "reload" and get those
values in, or do I need to do a stop/start?

Re: changes to postgresql.conf

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Johnny Tan <johnnydtan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to make changes to these settings in postgresql.conf:
> * effective_cache_size
> * shared_buffers
> * work_mem
> * maintenance_work_mem
>
> On a live, production server, can I simply do a "reload" and get those
> values in, or do I need to do a stop/start?

For shared_buffers, you need a stop/start. For the other three, a
reload is enough.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

On Sep 24, 2012 9:20 AM, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> For shared_buffers, you need a stop/start. For the other three, a
> reload is enough.

Thank you.

Re: changes to postgresql.conf

От
Steve Crawford
Дата:
On 09/24/2012 06:05 AM, Johnny Tan wrote:
> I need to make changes to these settings in postgresql.conf:
> * effective_cache_size
> * shared_buffers
> * work_mem
> * maintenance_work_mem
>
> On a live, production server, can I simply do a "reload" and get those
> values in, or do I need to do a stop/start?

To expand on other responses, try "select * from pg_settings;" and see
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/view-pg-settings.html

Anything with a "context" of "postmaster" requires a restart so while
shared_buffers requires a restart the other three do not and, in fact,
can be set by a user on a per-connection basis.

Cheers,
Steve