Обсуждение: Schema diagramming tool?

Schema diagramming tool?

От
Craig James
Дата:
Can anyone recommend a good tool for producing a good drawing of an existing database schema?  I don't need a design tool, but rather one that can take an existing schema and produce a nice diagram that can be further edited and "beautified."  I want something I can print and hang on the wall as a reference document for developers writing code and SQL.

Thanks,
Craig

Re: Schema diagramming tool?

От
Bob Lunney
Дата:
SchemaSpy is kind of handy.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 4, 2012, at 11:35 AM, Craig James <cjames@emolecules.com> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good tool for producing a good drawing of an existing database schema?  I don't need a design
tool,but rather one that can take an existing schema and produce a nice diagram that can be further edited and
"beautified." I want something I can print and hang on the wall as a reference document for developers writing code and
SQL.

> Thanks,
> Craig

Re: Schema diagramming tool?

От
Sergey Konoplev
Дата:
On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Craig James <cjames@emolecules.com> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good tool for producing a good drawing of an existing
> database schema?  I don't need a design tool, but rather one that can take
> an existing schema and produce a nice diagram that can be further edited and
> "beautified."  I want something I can print and hang on the wall as a
> reference document for developers writing code and SQL.

I used to use PostgreSQL Maestro for this purpose. Its Designer tool
is quite nice.

--
Sergey Konoplev

a database and software architect
http://www.linkedin.com/in/grayhemp

Jabber: gray.ru@gmail.com Skype: gray-hemp Phone: +79160686204

Re: Schema diagramming tool?

От
Thomas Markus
Дата:
Hi,

give db visualizer a try.

best regards
Thomas

Am 04.09.2012 18:35, schrieb Craig James:
> Can anyone recommend a good tool for producing a good drawing of an
> existing database schema?  I don't need a design tool, but rather one
> that can take an existing schema and produce a nice diagram that can
> be further edited and "beautified."  I want something I can print and
> hang on the wall as a reference document for developers writing code
> and SQL.
>
> Thanks,
> Craig

Re: Schema diagramming tool?

От
Craig James
Дата:
On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM, Sergey Konoplev <gray.ru@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Craig James <cjames@emolecules.com> wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a good tool for producing a good drawing of an existing
>> database schema?  I don't need a design tool, but rather one that can take
>> an existing schema and produce a nice diagram that can be further edited and
>> "beautified."  I want something I can print and hang on the wall as a
>> reference document for developers writing code and SQL.
>
> I used to use PostgreSQL Maestro for this purpose. Its Designer tool
> is quite nice.

They don't say anywhere on their web site which platforms they
support.  Is this a Windows-only application?

Thanks,
Craig

Re: Schema diagramming tool?

От
Sergey Konoplev
Дата:
On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Craig James <cjames@emolecules.com> wrote:
>> I used to use PostgreSQL Maestro for this purpose. Its Designer tool
>> is quite nice.
>
> They don't say anywhere on their web site which platforms they
> support.  Is this a Windows-only application?

I think it is. I worked with it on Windows. However it will probably
work with Wine on Linux, I have not tried.

BTW as I remember Squirrel SQL has diagramming too.

--
Sergey Konoplev

a database and software architect
http://www.linkedin.com/in/grayhemp

Jabber: gray.ru@gmail.com Skype: gray-hemp Phone: +79160686204

Re: Schema diagramming tool?

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
Le mardi 4 septembre 2012 18:35:20, Craig James a écrit :
> Can anyone recommend a good tool for producing a good drawing of an
> existing database schema?  I don't need a design tool, but rather one that
> can take an existing schema and produce a nice diagram that can be further
> edited and "beautified."  I want something I can print and hang on the wall
> as a reference document for developers writing code and SQL.

postgresql_autodoc is old and simple, and works (even for complex database).

--
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
http://2ndQuadrant.fr/