Обсуждение: Postgres community version limitaiton - help needed

Postgres community version limitaiton - help needed

От
ajay kumar

Dear All ,

 Could you please confirm if the Postgres community version can support the 128GB RAM and 4 processors expandable upto 8 processors (each quad core).

Warm regards

Ajay Pandey

Re: Postgres community version limitaiton - help needed

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM, ajay kumar <akp123@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All ,
>

>  Could you please confirm if the Postgres community version can support the
> 128GB RAM and 4 processors expandable upto 8 processors (each quad core).

Not sure what you mean by "community edition".  There's PostgreSQL.
From the postgresql.org website, which is what most folks use.

I've run it on 40 hyperthreaded CPUS (80 virtual cores) and it worked
just fine and used all 80 cores with enough parallel processes
running.

Can a single query use > 1 core?  not.  Not the way the engine is designed.

Re: Postgres community version limitaiton - help needed

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 9:24 PM, ajay kumar <akp123@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Scott .
>
> "community edition"  means There is no license fees for using PostGresql as
> it is Open Source database .

Cool. I've personally tested and used pgsql machines with 128G of
memory and 4 of the AMD 12 core opteron cores and another with 4 of
the newer 10 core Xeons with hyperthreading and gotten good pgbench
and real numbers and real world performance.  But that was for
massively parallel operations from thousands of real or simulated
users funnelled through a connection pooler.

Your specific test case will determine the answer to your question.
Do you need to have 1 query exercise 48 cores at once?  Or do you need
to have dozens of different processes run quickly?

Are you looking at data warehousing large data sets, a transactional
workload on a relatively small data set? or...

Re: Postgres community version limitaiton - help needed

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Scott Marlowe, 05.02.2012 23:13:
> Not sure what you mean by "community edition".  There's PostgreSQL.
> From the postgresql.org website, which is what most folks use.

I think the term "community edition" was coined by EnterpriseDB - at least it shows up on their webpages on some
places.

Re: Postgres community version limitaiton - help needed

От
ajay kumar
Дата:
Thanks Scott .

"community edition"  means There is no license fees for using PostGresql as it is Open Source database .

Regards
Ajay Pandey