Обсуждение: Parameters to consider on increasing max_connections and physical memory

Parameters to consider on increasing max_connections and physical memory

От
"Gnanakumar"
Дата:
Hi,

Our Production server is running PostgreSQL v8.2.22 on CentOS5.2.  Based on
the application usage trend, we're finding that we need to increase maximum
number of concurrent connections to the database server, that is
"max_connections" parameter.  Of course, I also understand that it requires
more system physical memory.

My question is, what are all the PostgreSQL conf parameters that I must take
into account/consider to adjust/modify, if we increase system physical
memory and "max_connections"?

Regards,
Gnanam

Re: Parameters to consider on increasing max_connections and physical memory

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Gnanakumar <gnanam@zoniac.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Our Production server is running PostgreSQL v8.2.22 on CentOS5.2.  Based on
> the application usage trend, we're finding that we need to increase maximum
> number of concurrent connections to the database server, that is
> "max_connections" parameter.  Of course, I also understand that it requires
> more system physical memory.
>
> My question is, what are all the PostgreSQL conf parameters that I must take
> into account/consider to adjust/modify, if we increase system physical
> memory and "max_connections"?

How high have you had to raise it?  If you're heading in the direction
of 500 or more, consider using a connection pooler like pgbouncer.

Generally each new connection uses about 6Megs of memory from the
machine the db lives on.  For performance tuning, look here:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Performance_Optimization