Обсуждение: two questions regarding warm-standby on 8.4

two questions regarding warm-standby on 8.4

От
Gary Webster
Дата:
Hello.

I am configuring warm-standby as documented here:

I am using "pg_standby", & may have it working corrrectly, but am not sure.

1)  The standby database never 'starts', right? (/etc/init.d/postgresql-8.4 start" times out; I can't connect to the db to see if tables are correct).

2)  Because of #1, I suppose I can't do a pg_dump on the standby db?

Thanks.
Gx

Re: two questions regarding warm-standby on 8.4

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Mon, 2012-01-23 at 09:48 -0500, Gary Webster wrote:

> 1)  The standby database never 'starts', right?
> (/etc/init.d/postgresql-8.4 start" times out; I can't connect to the
> db to see if tables are correct).
>
> 2)  Because of #1, I suppose I can't do a pg_dump on the standby db?

Both are correct. You need to use 9.0+ to be able to read from standby.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: two questions regarding warm-standby on 8.4

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Gary Webster <webster@lexmark.com> wrote:

> I am configuring warm-standby as documented here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/warm-standby.html
>
> I am using "pg_standby", & may have it working corrrectly, but am not sure.
>
> 1)  The standby database never 'starts', right? (/etc/init.d/postgresql-8.4
> start" times out; I can't connect to the db to see if tables are correct).
>
> 2)  Because of #1, I suppose I can't do a pg_dump on the standby db?

Exactly. That's what Hot Standby does in 9.x

Re: two questions regarding warm-standby on 8.4

От
Gary Webster
Дата:
Hello.
Thanks for the informative replies.

So, is Hot Standby the recommended way to do HA?
My application does not need to be able to do queries on the standby.

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Gary Webster <webster@lexmark.com> wrote:

> I am configuring warm-standby as documented here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/warm-standby.html
>
> I am using "pg_standby", & may have it working corrrectly, but am not sure.
>
> 1)  The standby database never 'starts', right? (/etc/init.d/postgresql-8.4
> start" times out; I can't connect to the db to see if tables are correct).
>
> 2)  Because of #1, I suppose I can't do a pg_dump on the standby db?

Exactly. That's what Hot Standby does in 9.x

Re: two questions regarding warm-standby on 8.4

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 8:05 PM, Gary Webster <webster@lexmark.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the informative replies.
>
> So, is Hot Standby the recommended way to do HA?
> My application does not need to be able to do queries on the standby.

Streaming replication is the recommended way to do HA, which is roughly "yes".