Обсуждение: How to change query planner configuration paramerters

How to change query planner configuration paramerters

От
Melaka Gunasekara
Дата:
Hi all,

how to change query planner configuration paramerters.

I need to know how I can change these parameters.
For example if I need to turn off enable_hashjoin, how can I do that?

Best Regards,
Melaka

Re: How to change query planner configuration paramerters

От
Raghavendra
Дата:
postgres=# set enable_hashjoin to off;
SET
postgres=# show enable_hashjoin;
 enable_hashjoin
-----------------
 off
(1 row)

Above, changes applies for the current session (its Session-Level). If you want to do at Database-level use ALTER DATABASE and for entire Cluster-level edit postgresql.conf and do changes as per your requirement.

---
Regards,
Raghavendra
EnterpriseDB Corporation

how to change query planner configuration paramerters.

I need to know how I can change these parameters.
For example if I need to turn off enable_hashjoin, how can I do that?

Best Regards,
Melaka

Re: How to change query planner configuration paramerters

От
Melaka Gunasekara
Дата:
Hi Raghavendra,

Thanks for your quick reply,
I did as you suggessted and following is my output.

melaka=# set enable_mergejoin to off;
SET
melaka=# show enable_mergejoin;
enable_mergejoin
------------------
off
(1 row)

Then I executed the following query
melaka=# EXPLAIN select * from distributors full outer join films on distributors.did=films.did;

Then the output was
Merge Full Join (cost=10000000074.40..10000000093.69 rows=1159 width=286)
Merge Cond: (films.did = distributors.did)
-> Sort (cost=30.08..31.03 rows=380 width=184)
Sort Key: films.did
-> Seq Scan on films (cost=0.00..13.80 rows=380 width=184)
-> Sort (cost=44.32..45.85 rows=610 width=102)
Sort Key: distributors.did
-> Seq Scan on distributors (cost=0.00..16.10 rows=610 width=102)
(8 rows)

Can you suggest why the merge join is being suggested when I have turned it off ?

--
Best Regards,
Melaka

Re: How to change query planner configuration paramerters

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 18/09/2011 5:51 PM, Melaka Gunasekara wrote:
> Merge Full Join (cost=10000000074.40..10000000093.69 rows=1159 width=286)

> Can you suggest why the merge join is being suggested when I have
> turned it off ?

AFAIK SETting a join type to "off" really just increases the cost
estimate so high that the planner will avoid using it where it has any
alternative. In this case, it doesn't seem to think it has any other way
to execute the query, or it thinks that any other way will be so
incredibly, insanely slow that the merge join is still better.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: How to change query planner configuration paramerters

Дата:
Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au> writes:
> On 18/09/2011 5:51 PM, Melaka Gunasekara wrote:
>> Merge Full Join (cost=10000000074.40..10000000093.69 rows=1159 width=286)

>> Can you suggest why the merge join is being suggested when I have
>> turned it off ?

> AFAIK SETting a join type to "off" really just increases the cost
> estimate so high that the planner will avoid using it where it has any
> alternative. In this case, it doesn't seem to think it has any other way
> to execute the query, or it thinks that any other way will be so
> incredibly, insanely slow that the merge join is still better.

It's the first of those --- FULL joins are only implemented in the
mergejoin logic, not in hash or nestloop joins, so there is no other way
to do this query.  (But as of 9.1, hash joins can do them too.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: How to change query planner configuration paramerters

От
Melaka Gunasekara
Дата:
Thanks for the information Tom.