Обсуждение: Unable To Establish Connections

Unable To Establish Connections

От
Sam Stearns
Дата:
Howdy,

Environment:

Postgres 8.2.3
Solaris 10

We were unable to make a remote postgres connection for ~2 hours this
afternoon.  Receiving the following message in the postgres log every
30 seconds:

LOG:  expected password response, got message type 88

Connection limit is 300.  17 active connections at the time.  Bounced
postgres successfully but the above error message was still being
logged.  About 20 minutes later the error message stopped and
connections started to re-establish.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Sam

Re: Unable To Establish Connections

От
Sam Stearns
Дата:
Anyone have any ideas on this?  We're an ISP.  I was thinking of the
possibility of a hack attempt.

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Sam Stearns <samtstearns@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Environment:
>
> Postgres 8.2.3
> Solaris 10
>
> We were unable to make a remote postgres connection for ~2 hours this
> afternoon.  Receiving the following message in the postgres log every
> 30 seconds:
>
> LOG:  expected password response, got message type 88
>
> Connection limit is 300.  17 active connections at the time.  Bounced
> postgres successfully but the above error message was still being
> logged.  About 20 minutes later the error message stopped and
> connections started to re-establish.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Sam

Re: Unable To Establish Connections

От
Tim
Дата:
First google hit said this:

"It seems (not sure) to occur when user retypes password fast.
Maybe in this case ODBC driver gets old connection somehow from driver
manager."

also
"It looks to me like the ODBC driver is failing to follow the protocol.
It shouldn't respond with an 'X' if it doesn't have a password, just
disconnect."

I would start logging traffic so you have more to go on next time it happens.

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Sam Stearns <samtstearns@gmail.com> wrote:
Anyone have any ideas on this?  We're an ISP.  I was thinking of the
possibility of a hack attempt.

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Sam Stearns <samtstearns@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Environment:
>
> Postgres 8.2.3
> Solaris 10
>
> We were unable to make a remote postgres connection for ~2 hours this
> afternoon.  Receiving the following message in the postgres log every
> 30 seconds:
>
> LOG:  expected password response, got message type 88
>
> Connection limit is 300.  17 active connections at the time.  Bounced
> postgres successfully but the above error message was still being
> logged.  About 20 minutes later the error message stopped and
> connections started to re-establish.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Sam

Re: Unable To Establish Connections

От
Sam Stearns
Дата:
Thanks, Tim.

I've turned up logging some more.

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Tim <elatllat@gmail.com> wrote:
> First google hit said this:
>
> "It seems (not sure) to occur when user retypes password fast.
> Maybe in this case ODBC driver gets old connection somehow from driver
> manager."
>
> also
> "It looks to me like the ODBC driver is failing to follow the protocol.
> It shouldn't respond with an 'X' if it doesn't have a password, just
> disconnect."
> I would start logging traffic so you have more to go on next time it
> happens.
>
> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Sam Stearns <samtstearns@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas on this?  We're an ISP.  I was thinking of the
>> possibility of a hack attempt.
>>
>> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Sam Stearns <samtstearns@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Howdy,
>> >
>> > Environment:
>> >
>> > Postgres 8.2.3
>> > Solaris 10
>> >
>> > We were unable to make a remote postgres connection for ~2 hours this
>> > afternoon.  Receiving the following message in the postgres log every
>> > 30 seconds:
>> >
>> > LOG:  expected password response, got message type 88
>> >
>> > Connection limit is 300.  17 active connections at the time.  Bounced
>> > postgres successfully but the above error message was still being
>> > logged.  About 20 minutes later the error message stopped and
>> > connections started to re-establish.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> >
>> > Sam
>> >

>> --

Re: Unable To Establish Connections

От
Sam Stearns
Дата:
Future reference:

Problem was caused by primary DNS resolver suffering from degraded
performance.  Server experienced a software issue with BIND, the
software that performs DNS resolution.

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Sam Stearns <samtstearns@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Tim.
>
> I've turned up logging some more.
>
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Tim <elatllat@gmail.com> wrote:
>> First google hit said this:
>>
>> "It seems (not sure) to occur when user retypes password fast.
>> Maybe in this case ODBC driver gets old connection somehow from driver
>> manager."
>>
>> also
>> "It looks to me like the ODBC driver is failing to follow the protocol.
>> It shouldn't respond with an 'X' if it doesn't have a password, just
>> disconnect."
>> I would start logging traffic so you have more to go on next time it
>> happens.
>>
>> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Sam Stearns <samtstearns@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyone have any ideas on this?  We're an ISP.  I was thinking of the
>>> possibility of a hack attempt.

>>> --

Re: Unable To Establish Connections

От