Обсуждение: Can we Flush the Postgres Shared Memory ?

Can we Flush the Postgres Shared Memory ?

От
raghu ram
Дата:
Respected Committers,

It may be a silly question, still out of curiosity I want to know, is there any possible way to flush the Postgres Shared Memory without restarting the cluster.

In Oracle, we can flush the SGA, can we get the same feature here..

Thanks in Advance.

Regards
Raghu Ram
EnterpriseDB Corporation

Re: Can we Flush the Postgres Shared Memory ?

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 11:54 AM, raghu ram <raghuchennuru@gmail.com> wrote:

> It may be a silly question, still out of curiosity I want to know, is there
> any possible way to flush the Postgres Shared Memory without restarting the
> cluster.
> In Oracle, we can flush the SGA, can we get the same feature here..
> Thanks in Advance.

The CHECKPOINT command will do this for you.

Re: Can we Flush the Postgres Shared Memory ?

От
Raghavendra

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 11:54 AM, raghu ram <raghuchennuru@gmail.com> wrote:

> It may be a silly question, still out of curiosity I want to know, is there
> any possible way to flush the Postgres Shared Memory without restarting the
> cluster.
> In Oracle, we can flush the SGA, can we get the same feature here..
> Thanks in Advance.

The CHECKPOINT command will do this for you.

This command will empty the PSM...

Best Regards,
Raghavendra

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Raghavendra <raghavendra.rao@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 11:54 AM, raghu ram <raghuchennuru@gmail.com> wrote:

> It may be a silly question, still out of curiosity I want to know, is there
> any possible way to flush the Postgres Shared Memory without restarting the
> cluster.
> In Oracle, we can flush the SGA, can we get the same feature here..
> Thanks in Advance.

The CHECKPOINT command will do this for you.

According to PostgreSQL documentation, whenever you execute "CHECKPOINT" in the database,it will flush the modified data files presented in the Shared Buffers retuned to the Disk.

Is this clears the entire shared memory cache and same time,if i execute fresh SQL statement, Data will be retuned from disk??

--Raghu Ram

Re: [GENERAL] Can we Flush the Postgres Shared Memory ?

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:30 AM, raghu ram <raghuchennuru@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Raghavendra
> <raghavendra.rao@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

>>> The CHECKPOINT command will do this for you.
>>

> According to PostgreSQL documentation, whenever you execute "CHECKPOINT" in
> the database,it will flush the modified data files presented in the Shared
> Buffers retuned to the Disk.
>            http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-checkpoint.html
> Is this clears the entire shared memory cache and same time,if i execute
> fresh SQL statement, Data will be retuned from disk??

no it will not, or at least there is no guarantee it will be.  the
only way to reset the buffers in that sense is to restart the database
(and even then they might not be read from disk, because they could
sit in the o/s cache).  to force a read from the drive you'd have to
reboot the server, or at least shut it down and use a lot of memory
for some other purpose.

merlin

Re: [GENERAL] Can we Flush the Postgres Shared Memory ?

От
tv@fuzzy.cz
Дата:
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Raghavendra <
> raghavendra.rao@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>
>> wrote:

>>> there
>>> restarting
>>> the
>>>

>>> The CHECKPOINT command will do this for you.
>>>

> According to PostgreSQL documentation, whenever you execute "CHECKPOINT"
> in
> the database,it will flush the modified data files presented in the Shared
> Buffers retuned to the Disk.
>
>            http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-checkpoint.html
>
> Is this clears the entire shared memory cache and same time,if i execute
> fresh SQL statement, Data will be retuned from disk??

No. Checkpoint means all dirty buffers are written to the datafiles, it
does not mean emptying the shared buffers. Checkpoints happen regularly so
this would have an unwanted impact on performance.

And besides that, there's a page cache maintained by the OS (not sure if
you're running Linux or Windows). So even when the block does not exist in
the shared buffers, it may be in the page cache (thus not read from the
drive).

Dropping the page cache is quite simple (http://linux-mm.org/Drop_Caches),
emptying the shared buffers is not that simple - I guess the easiest way
is to restart the db.

What are you trying to achieve? Why do you need this?

Tomas

Re: [GENERAL] Can we Flush the Postgres Shared Memory ?

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
2011/5/3 Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:30 AM, raghu ram <raghuchennuru@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Raghavendra
>> <raghavendra.rao@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

>> According to PostgreSQL documentation, whenever you execute "CHECKPOINT" in
>> the database,it will flush the modified data files presented in the Shared
>> Buffers retuned to the Disk.
>>            http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-checkpoint.html
>> Is this clears the entire shared memory cache and same time,if i execute
>> fresh SQL statement, Data will be retuned from disk??
>
> no it will not, or at least there is no guarantee it will be.  the
> only way to reset the buffers in that sense is to restart the database
> (and even then they might not be read from disk, because they could
> sit in the o/s cache).  to force a read from the drive you'd have to
> reboot the server, or at least shut it down and use a lot of memory
> for some other purpose.

with linux, you can : "echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches" for the OS cache

> merlin

Re: [GENERAL] Can we Flush the Postgres Shared Memory ?

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Cédric Villemain
<cedric.villemain.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/5/3 Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>:
>>
>> no it will not, or at least there is no guarantee it will be.  the
>> only way to reset the buffers in that sense is to restart the database
>> (and even then they might not be read from disk, because they could
>> sit in the o/s cache).  to force a read from the drive you'd have to
>> reboot the server, or at least shut it down and use a lot of memory
>> for some other purpose.
>
> with linux, you can : "echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches" for the OS cache

yeah -- good point.  aside: does that also drop cache on the drive/raid card?

merlin

Re: [GENERAL] Can we Flush the Postgres Shared Memory ?

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
2011/5/3 Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Cédric Villemain
> <cedric.villemain.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2011/5/3 Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> no it will not, or at least there is no guarantee it will be.  the
>>> only way to reset the buffers in that sense is to restart the database
>>> (and even then they might not be read from disk, because they could
>>> sit in the o/s cache).  to force a read from the drive you'd have to
>>> reboot the server, or at least shut it down and use a lot of memory
>>> for some other purpose.
>>
>> with linux, you can : "echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches" for the OS cache
>>

> yeah -- good point.  aside: does that also drop cache on the drive/raid card?

no -- good point too ! (damn! how SAN users will do...maybe EMC or
other are good enough to provide some control panel for that ? )

and as I read on the link provided by Tomas, it is better to issue a
'sync' before trying to drop cache (I do that sometime, but postgresql
flush its write before shutdown, so I expected the dirty pages in OS
cache not to be relative to postgresql files.)

Re: Can we Flush the Postgres Shared Memory ?

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Mark Johnson
<mark@remingtondatabasesolutions.com> wrote:

> The contents of this email may not be copied or forwarded in part or in
> whole without the express written consent of the author.

Pleased to meet you Mark.

If you post here, the above disclaimer is not effective. Right now
your words are being copied across the internet...

Re: Can we Flush the Postgres Shared Memory ?

От
"Mark Johnson"

Is there a particular one of Oracle's memory clearning features you want to use in PostgreSQL?   In Oracle you cannot flush the entire SGA without a restart, but you can flush three parts of the SGA using three separate commands.

1.  In Oracle you can flush the redo buffer by issuing a COMMIT or by rotating the logs.  You can force a log switch in PostgreSQL using "select pg_switch_xlog();".

2.  In Oracle when you flush the shared pool this does three things: (a) removes sql and pl/sql statements from the shared library cache, (b) flushes the dictionary cache of object info and security data, and (c) flushes the query result cache (11g only).  I am relatively new to PostgreSQL and have not seen an equivalent in PostgreSQL to these things.  Based on other replies it does not seem possible to flush the catalog cache in PostgreSQL.

3.  In Oracle when you request a flush of the buffer cache it signals a checkpoint to ensure all dirty buffers are written out AND later it will remove the dirty buffers from memory.  This can take anywhere from a few seconds on very small systems to several minutes on VLDB systems, per my observations.  The Oracle checkpoint is fast, and the SQL prompt comes back very fast, but the removal of dirty buffers from memory runs in the background with a low priority over a long period of time.  If you are planning to use "alter system flush buffer_cache" to clear memory in between tests you actually have no way to know when memory is clear except to wait a long time and then assume all is well (yes, this is also true with ASM and direct i/o to raw devices).  In PostgreSQL, you can checkpoint manually to signal bgwriter to flush dirty pages to the operating system's cache and from there you will see a lazy write to disk (e.g., watch pdflush on linux), so immediately re-running a query will still get some caching benefits eventhough the checkpoint is complete.  There are operating system commands that you could use for that ("cat /proc/meminfo" to see what's there, "sync" to write dirty pages to disk, then "echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches" to remove the now clean pages, and then "cat /proc/meminfo" one more time).  And, if you are using SAN consider array based caching as well.

Sincerely,

Mark R. Johnson
Owner,
Remington Database Solutions, LLC
Author,
Oracle Database 10g: From Nuts to Soup

The contents of this email may not be copied or forwarded in part or in whole without the express written consent of the author.

> It may be a silly question, still out of curiosity I want to know, is there
> any possible way to flush the Postgres Shared Memory without restarting the
> cluster.
> In Oracle, we can flush the SGA, can we get the same feature here..
> Thanks in Advance.

The CHECKPOINT command will do this for you.

This command will empty the PSM...

Best Regards,
Raghavendra
EnterpriseDB Corporation

Re: Can we Flush the Postgres Shared Memory ?

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 2:30 PM, raghu ram <raghuchennuru@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The CHECKPOINT command will do this for you.
>>

> According to PostgreSQL documentation, whenever you execute "CHECKPOINT" in
> the database,it will flush the modified data files presented in the Shared
> Buffers retuned to the Disk.
>            http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-checkpoint.html
> Is this clears the entire shared memory cache and same time,if i execute
> fresh SQL statement, Data will be retuned from disk??

No, but then you'd need to flush OS buffers and all disk caches as
well to make that effective.

Re: Can we Flush the Postgres Shared Memory ?

От
"Mark Johnson"

Yes, understood and agreed.  My mail server adds it automatically.  I can manually remove it prior to sending to the mail list.

-Mark