Обсуждение: GUI ERD/ERM tools?

GUI ERD/ERM tools?

От
Lou Picciano
Дата:
Friends,

This question from our users keeps coming up...

What tools are each of you using for ERD ERM? pgAmin's Graphical Query Builder is helpful, but doesn't address the need.

Can any of you recommend specific tools, preferences, etc?

Regards,  Lou Picciano

Re: GUI ERD/ERM tools?

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Lou Picciano, 12.11.2010 15:40:
> Friends,
>
> This question from our users keeps coming up...
>
> What tools are each of you using for ERD ERM? pgAmin's Graphical Query Builder is helpful, but doesn't address the
need.

> Can any of you recommend specific tools, preferences, etc?
>
> Regards, Lou Picciano

If you are looking for a commercial tool, dbWrench is pretty good and reasonably priced.

The only usable open source/free tool that I know of is PowerArchitect

Regards
Thomas

Re: GUI ERD/ERM tools?

От
"Mark Felder"
Дата:
On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:40:54 -0600, Lou Picciano <loupicciano@comcast.net>
wrote:

> What tools are each of you using for ERD ERM? pgAmin's Graphical Query
> Builder is helpful, but doesn't address the need.

I'm not a database guru and I'm not 100% clear on "ERD ERM", but I will
try to help anyway :)

I used to work at an Oracle-heavy shop and the preference for the DBAs and
developers was a tool called TOAD. You can find this software at
http://toadworld.com/. It doesn't seem to be well known outside of the
Oracle circles, but if their support for Postgres is half as good as their
support for Oracle I think you would find it to be an amazing tool for
visualizing the database, building queries, etc.

Good luck!

Regards,

Mark

Re: GUI ERD/ERM tools?

От
Viktor Bojović

This question from our users keeps coming up...

What tools are each of you using for ERD ERM? pgAmin's Graphical Query Builder is helpful, but doesn't address the need.

Can any of you recommend specific tools, preferences, etc?

Regards,  Lou Picciano

i prefer EMS postgre manager. but it is not free

--
---------------------------------------
Viktor Bojović

Re: GUI ERD/ERM tools?

От
Dinesh Bhandary
Дата:
I've used eclipse with clay ( plugin) in the past, it is pretty good.
And it is free,.

Dinesh
On 11/12/2010 8:07 AM, Mark Felder wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:40:54 -0600, Lou Picciano
> <loupicciano@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> What tools are each of you using for ERD ERM? pgAmin's Graphical
>> Query Builder is helpful, but doesn't address the need.
>
> I'm not a database guru and I'm not 100% clear on "ERD ERM", but I
> will try to help anyway :)
>
> I used to work at an Oracle-heavy shop and the preference for the DBAs
> and developers was a tool called TOAD. You can find this software at
> http://toadworld.com/. It doesn't seem to be well known outside of the
> Oracle circles, but if their support for Postgres is half as good as
> their support for Oracle I think you would find it to be an amazing
> tool for visualizing the database, building queries, etc.
>
> Good luck!
>

> Regards,
>

> Mark

Re: GUI ERD/ERM tools?

От
Dinesh Bhandary
Дата:
I've used eclipse with clay (plugin) in the past and it is good. It is
free.

Dinesh

On Nov 12, 2010 06:46 AM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:

>Lou Picciano, 12.11.2010 15:40:
>>Friends,
>>
>>This question from our users keeps coming up...
>>
>>What tools are each of you using for ERD ERM? pgAmin's Graphical Query
>>Builder is helpful, but doesn't address the need.
>>
>>Can any of you recommend specific tools, preferences, etc?
>>
>>Regards, Lou Picciano
>
>If you are looking for a commercial tool, dbWrench is pretty good and
>reasonably priced.
>
>The only usable open source/free tool that I know of is PowerArchitect
>
>Regards
>Thomas
>

>--

Re: GUI ERD/ERM tools?

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
loupicciano@comcast.net (Lou Picciano) writes:
> This question from our users keeps coming up...
>
> What tools are each of you using for ERD ERM? pgAmin's Graphical Query Builder
> is helpful, but doesn't address the need.
>
> Can any of you recommend specific tools, preferences, etc?

I have tended to find that when doing design work, nothing is better for
the purposes of discussion of alternatives than a whiteboard and
markers.

Once the thinking has been done, I might use TCM to draft diagrams of
some of the relationships <http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~tcm/> to
compactly present them.

Once the thinking is stable enough to create tables, I like SchemaSpy
for providing diagramming that people can "click through" to examine the
relationships between tables.  <http://schemaspy.sourceforge.net/>
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "gmail.com")
"Implying that you    can build systems  without  rigourous  interface

Re: GUI ERD/ERM tools?

От
Samuel Stearns
Дата:
Another option is 'Database => Reverse Engineer' in Visio.

Sam