Обсуждение: PostgreSQL 8.4 x Win 2008 - slow connection

PostgreSQL 8.4 x Win 2008 - slow connection

От
Fábio Gibon - Comex System
Дата:
I'm having problems with connection time using Post 8.4 on Win 2008 enterprise (32bits). To do open/close 10 connections i lost about 20 seconds and doing the same test using Post 8.4 in another server (Win 2003) on 20 seconds i get (open/close) almost 500 connections. The difference is very very large. Somebody did have any problem like this?

Some tip is very well!!!

thanks

Fábio Henrique Gibon

Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 x Win 2008 - slow connection

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Fábio Gibon - Comex System
<gibon@comexsystem.com.br> wrote:
> I'm having problems with connection time using Post 8.4 on Win 2008
> enterprise (32bits). To do open/close 10 connections i lost about 20 seconds
> and doing the same test using Post 8.4 in another server (Win 2003) on 20
> seconds i get (open/close) almost 500 connections. The difference is very
> very large. Somebody did have any problem like this?

I'm no windows guru, but I'd bet on some kind of windows congestion
control in the networking stack trying to be "helpful" and botching
the job.

Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 x Win 2008 - slow connection

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
Please keep the list cc'd to your replies

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 6:22 AM, Fábio Gibon - Comex System
<gibon@comexsystem.com.br> wrote:
> Tks Scott...
>        but I did tests connecting by network and local, both was very
> slowly.

That in no way proves it's not a network problem.

Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 x Win 2008 - slow connection

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Fábio Gibon - Comex System
<gibon@comexsystem.com.br> wrote:
> I'm having problems with connection time using Post 8.4 on Win 2008
> enterprise (32bits). To do open/close 10 connections i lost about 20 seconds
> and doing the same test using Post 8.4 in another server (Win 2003) on 20
> seconds i get (open/close) almost 500 connections. The difference is very
> very large. Somebody did have any problem like this?

Also, are you running anything on one that you're not on the other,
like anti-virus software?  That can often get in the way of
performance too.

Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 x Win 2008 - slow connection

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Fábio Gibon - Comex System
<gibon@comexsystem.com.br> wrote:
> I'm having problems with connection time using Post 8.4 on Win 2008
> enterprise (32bits). To do open/close 10 connections i lost about 20 seconds
> and doing the same test using Post 8.4 in another server (Win 2003) on 20
> seconds i get (open/close) almost 500 connections. The difference is very
> very large. Somebody did have any problem like this?

Also, look into the QoS settings for the network stack.  Those have
produced problems before for pgsql.

Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 x Win 2008 - slow connection

От
Fábio Gibon - Comex System
Дата:
Thanks a lot... i will check this too.