Обсуждение: conditional backup

conditional backup

От
suhailck
Дата:
Hi,

I need to take backup of my postgresql DB, but not all records from a few
tables.
My DB contains more than 700 tables, out of which 15 tables i need to take
this conditional backup

Example:
Table: C_order
I need to take backup from table C_order where "period=2009" and "org <> A"
This is done to improve performance there by deleting all non-org records
for old period from org A's server.
Expecting ur feedbacks

Thanks in advance!!!

Re: conditional backup

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
suhailck <suhailck@gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to take backup of my postgresql DB, but not all records
> from a few tables.

You can exclude particular tables from a database backup using the
-T option (which can be included multiple times).  You can dump just
the schema for particular tables with the -s and -t switches.  You
can use the \copy command in psql to copy out selected rows using
syntax like:

\copy (select * from C_order where period=2009 and org <> 'A') to
C_order.data

You should be able to wire something together from those pieces.

-Kevin

secret key for encryption

От
Craig James
Дата:
This isn't exactly a Postgres question, but I hope someone in the community has solved it.

I want to encrypt some data in Postgres that arrives from Apache.  How do you store an encryption key in such a way
thatApache CGIs can get it, but a hacker or rogue employee who manages to access the machine can't find out the
encryptionkey?

Thanks,
Craig

Re: secret key for encryption

От
Craig James
Дата:
Kris,

[Replying to list, too.]

On 7/16/10 10:14 AM, Kris Deugau wrote:
> Craig James wrote:
>> This isn't exactly a Postgres question, but I hope someone in the
>> community has solved it.
>>
>> I want to encrypt some data in Postgres that arrives from Apache. How
>> do you store an encryption key in such a way that Apache CGIs can get
>> it, but a hacker or rogue employee who manages to access the machine
>> can't find out the encryption key?
>
> Short answer: You don't.
>
> Longer answer: You can tie things up with public-key encryption so that
> a different system can retrieve the data, but the system that put it in
> can't because it only has the public (encryption) key, not the private
> (decryption) key.
>
> Even that isn't safe from a rogue employee - what if that rogue is your
> seniour sysadmin with full root access on all your systems?

If we assume no escalation of priviliges, that is, Apache stays apache and users can't escalate to root, what then?

This must be a solved problem.  Credit-card numbers are required to be encrypted by law.  It wouldn't make sense for
themto be encrypted but then find that the password is sitting around where anyone can find it.  There must be any
numberof Postgres users who store encrypted credit card numbers and other personal data.  How do they solve this
problem?

Craig

Re: secret key for encryption

От
Richard Broersma
Дата:
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Craig James
<craig_james@emolecules.com> wrote:

> On 7/16/10 10:14 AM, Kris Deugau wrote:
>>
>> Craig James wrote:
>>>
>>> This isn't exactly a Postgres question, but I hope someone in the
>>> community has solved it.
>>>
>>> I want to encrypt some data in Postgres that arrives from Apache. How
>>> do you store an encryption key in such a way that Apache CGIs can get
>>> it, but a hacker or rogue employee who manages to access the machine
>>> can't find out the encryption key?
>>
>> Short answer: You don't.
>>
>> Longer answer: You can tie things up with public-key encryption so that
>> a different system can retrieve the data, but the system that put it in
>> can't because it only has the public (encryption) key, not the private
>> (decryption) key.
>>
>> Even that isn't safe from a rogue employee - what if that rogue is your
>> seniour sysadmin with full root access on all your systems?
>
> If we assume no escalation of priviliges, that is, Apache stays apache and
> users can't escalate to root, what then?
>
> This must be a solved problem.  Credit-card numbers are required to be
> encrypted by law.  It wouldn't make sense for them to be encrypted but then
> find that the password is sitting around where anyone can find it.  There
> must be any number of Postgres users who store encrypted credit card numbers
> and other personal data.  How do they solve this problem?

Bruce has a presentation on this subject:

http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/securing.pdf

Although, I don't know if it has an illustration that exactly matches
your problem.

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug