Обсуждение: Filesystem and PG configuration

Filesystem and PG configuration

От
RBN

Can someone suggest some appropriate initial configuration parameters and shared memory settings for the following hardware?

I'm running Debian on a Dell with 4x6 core CPU and 128GB memory and writing to  a coraid with 9 x 32GB SSDs RAID 10 using jfs with 8 drives active and 1 as spare.

I'm considering changing to xfs.  I'm not sure what block size to use for the file system, is 8192 appropriate?  The OS page size is 4096.

The database is both write and read intensive, with about 750MB of new data added per week and old deleted every six months to one year.

Re: Filesystem and PG configuration

От
"Anh Ky Huynh"
Дата:
On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:25:55 -0400
RBN <rbn.ggl@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can someone suggest some appropriate initial configuration
> parameters and shared memory settings for the following hardware?
>
> I'm running Debian on a Dell with 4x6 core CPU and 128GB memory and
> writing to  a coraid with 9 x 32GB SSDs RAID 10 using jfs with 8
> drives active and 1 as spare.
>
> I'm considering changing to xfs.  I'm not sure what block size to
> use for the file system, is 8192 appropriate?  The OS page size is
> 4096.
>
> The database is both write and read intensive, with about 750MB of
> new data added per week and old deleted every six months to one
> year.

A good start:

Tuning: http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/pgbench-scaling.htm
Benchmark: http://edoceo.com/liber/db-postgresql-benchmark

Here's my benchmark on `m1.medium` instance of Amazon EC2:
    http://gx.viettug.org/zen/kyanh/jobs/pgbench0.jpg.html

Good luck,

--
Anh Ky Huynh

Re: Filesystem and PG configuration

От
Andreas Schmitz
Дата:
Hi,

pgtune could be the thing you're looking for.

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgtune/

regards

andreas

RBN wrote:

> Can someone suggest some appropriate initial configuration parameters
> and shared memory settings for the following hardware?
>
> I'm running Debian on a Dell with 4x6 core CPU and 128GB memory and
> writing to  a coraid with 9 x 32GB SSDs RAID 10 using jfs with 8
> drives active and 1 as spare.
>
> I'm considering changing to xfs.  I'm not sure what block size to use
> for the file system, is 8192 appropriate?  The OS page size is 4096.
>
> The database is both write and read intensive, with about 750MB of new
> data added per week and old deleted every six months to one year.

Re: Filesystem and PG configuration

От
Greg Spiegelberg
Дата: