Обсуждение: pg_restore -j

pg_restore -j

От
Justin Falk
Дата:
Hi,

I'm trying to use the -j option on pg_restore while restoring a database into PG 8.4.3.

The dump was executed on PG 8.3.7 (Windows, Server 2003) using:

pg_dump -Fc -U postgres mydb > mydb.backup

This results in a ~3.4 GB dump file.

When I try to restore I'm using:

pg_restore -d mydb -U postgres -j 4 mydb.backup

This results in an error:

pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of order not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek required)

The dump works fine if I omit the -j option.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Justin

Re: pg_restore -j

Дата:
Justin Falk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use the -j option on pg_restore while restoring a database
> into PG 8.4.3.
>
> The dump was executed on PG 8.3.7 (Windows, Server 2003) using:
>
> pg_dump -Fc -U postgres mydb > mydb.backup
>
> This results in a ~3.4 GB dump file.
>
> When I try to restore I'm using:
>
> pg_restore -d mydb -U postgres -j 4 mydb.backup
>
> This results in an error:
>
> pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of order
> not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek required)
>
> The dump works fine if I omit the -j option.  What am I doing wrong?

Perhaps this is fixed in 8.3.10.

Re: pg_restore -j

Дата:
Justin Falk <jfalkmu@gmail.com> writes:
> When I try to restore I'm using:
> pg_restore -d mydb -U postgres -j 4 mydb.backup
> This results in an error:
> pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of order
> not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek required)

There was something similar reported here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2010-04/msg00237.php
but we haven't got to the bottom of it yet.  Can you create a
self-contained test case?

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_restore -j

От
Scott Mead

I'm trying to use the -j option on pg_restore while restoring a database into PG 8.4.3.

The dump was executed on PG 8.3.7 (Windows, Server 2003) using:

pg_dump -Fc -U postgres mydb > mydb.backup

This results in a ~3.4 GB dump file.

When I try to restore I'm using:

pg_restore -d mydb -U postgres -j 4 mydb.backup

This results in an error:

pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of order not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek required)

The dump works fine if I omit the -j option.  What am I doing wrong?

I'm pretty sure that you need to use the 8.4 version of pg_dump when  you create the backup file, then it should work.

--Scott

Thanks,

Justin

Re: pg_restore -j

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Justin Falk <jfalkmu@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to use the -j option on pg_restore while restoring a
> database into PG 8.4.3.
>
> The dump was executed on PG 8.3.7 (Windows, Server 2003) using:

Using the 8.4.3 version of pg_dump, as recommended in the
documentation?:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/migration.html

"It is recommended that you use the pg_dump and pg_dumpall programs
from the newer version of PostgreSQL, to take advantage of any
enhancements that might have been made in these programs."

-Kevin

Re: pg_restore -j

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 12:38 AM, Justin Falk <jfalkmu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use the -j option on pg_restore while restoring a database
> into PG 8.4.3.
>
> The dump was executed on PG 8.3.7 (Windows, Server 2003) using:

I think you have to dump with 8.4 to use -j on restore.

Re: pg_restore -j

Дата:
Scott Mead <scott.lists@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 2:38 AM, Justin Falk <jfalkmu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This results in an error:
>> pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of
>> order not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek required)

> I'm pretty sure that you need to use the 8.4 version of pg_dump when  you
> create the backup file, then it should work.

While that might be best practice, it's not clear why testing fails to
reproduce the problem, as we found in the other recent thread.  In any
case it'd be nice to deliver a more helpful error message, if the
combination really doesn't work in some cases.  But we need a
reproducible case to figure out why it's failing.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_restore -j

От
Bryan White
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> There was something similar reported here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2010-04/msg00237.php
> but we haven't got to the bottom of it yet.

That issue turned out to be me not paying attention to the pg_dump
output.  There was a deadlock with another process trying to recreate
a table.  This caused the dump file to be incomplete.

--
Bryan White