Обсуждение: --with-wal-segsize in-effective?

--with-wal-segsize in-effective?

От
Dhimant Patel
Дата:
Hi All,

I am working with latest source downloaded from postgres org site.
I compiled and installed the source with --with-wal-segsize=2, assuming it should give me 4MB size xlog files. (As per the documentation it is a power of 2 value.)

During the compilation the configure script spitted out "checking for WAL segment size... 2MB"  - so something was off - and I could not imagine what it is. After successful install and creating database, I still got 16MB files in my pg_xlog directory. That's too bad. I can not seem to be able to follow.

I thought it time to turn on archive anyway. I got 16MB files in my archive location!

So what am I doing wrong?

Please help.

-DP.

Fwd: --with-wal-segsize in-effective?

От
Dhimant Patel
Дата:
To investigate this further I worked on the 8.4.2 source code and it allows to set the xlog segment size but still does not follow what documentation implies - unless I am wrong.

--with-wal-segsize=2 as per documentation should give me 4MB size segment, I am getting it of 2MB.

Thanks,
DP.

I am working with latest source downloaded from postgres org site.
I compiled and installed the source with --with-wal-segsize=2, assuming it should give me 4MB size xlog files. (As per the documentation it is a power of 2 value.)

During the compilation the configure script spitted out "checking for WAL segment size... 2MB"  - so something was off - and I could not imagine what it is. After successful install and creating database, I still got 16MB files in my pg_xlog directory. That's too bad. I can not seem to be able to follow.

I thought it time to turn on archive anyway. I got 16MB files in my archive location!

So what am I doing wrong?

Please help.

-DP.

Re: Fwd: --with-wal-segsize in-effective?

Дата:
Dhimant Patel <drp4kri@gmail.com> writes:
> --with-wal-segsize=2 as per documentation should give me 4MB size segment, I
> am getting it of 2MB.

Not sure what part of the documentation you're reading, but what I'm
looking at says the size is specified in megabytes.  So that behavior
seems correct to me.

            regards, tom lane

Re: --with-wal-segsize in-effective?

От
Alex Hunsaker
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:32, Dhimant Patel <drp4kri@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am working with latest source downloaded from postgres org site.
> I compiled and installed the source with --with-wal-segsize=2, assuming it
> should give me 4MB size xlog files. (As per the documentation it is a power
> of 2 value.)

Erm "it must be a power of 2" not "It will times it by 2"...  So 2
being a power of 2 should give you 2MB.  It should fail with say 3MB
or any non power of 2 number.