Обсуждение: Restart failed with 'service postgresql restart'

Restart failed with 'service postgresql restart'

От
Major Services
Дата:
Help me start the server.
As I mentioned in an earlier post today (subject: password
authentication failed for user postgres), 'service postgresql restart'
had stopped the server but  *server
start failed*.

Step wise list of commands to be given would be great!
Do I need to login as postgres?

Being new to PostgreSQL, am looking for some hand-holding.

Thanks
Viv

Re: Restart failed with 'service postgresql restart'

От
Paul Anderson
Дата:
After verifying that the postmaster was not running you did remove the
postmaster.pid file, right?

FATAL: lock file "postmaster.pid"already exists

On 3/2/10 11:43 AM, Major Services wrote:
> Help me start the server.
> As I mentioned in an earlier post today (subject: password
> authentication failed for user postgres), 'service postgresql restart'
> had stopped the server but  *server
> start failed*.
>
> Step wise list of commands to be given would be great!
> Do I need to login as postgres?
>
> Being new to PostgreSQL, am looking for some hand-holding.
>
> Thanks
> Viv

Re: Restart failed with 'service postgresql restart'

От
"Newsticker"
Дата:
Hi

There is a nice entry at the Postgres archive.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2004-08/msg01624.php

did you remove the /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock files??
Maybee it helps

Greets
ho

After verifying that the postmaster was not running you did remove the
postmaster.pid file, right?

FATAL: lock file "postmaster.pid"already exists

On 3/2/10 11:43 AM, Major Services wrote:
> Help me start the server.
> As I mentioned in an earlier post today (subject: password
> authentication failed for user postgres), 'service postgresql restart'
> had stopped the server but  *server
> start failed*.
>
> Step wise list of commands to be given would be great!
> Do I need to login as postgres?
>
> Being new to PostgreSQL, am looking for some hand-holding.
>
> Thanks
> Viv

Re: Restart failed with 'service postgresql restart'

От
Major Services
Дата:
Where to look for postmaster.pid?
It is not in the data directory. There is one file postmaster.opts there.

Should I try running 'pg_ctl start -l logfile' ?

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Paul Anderson <paul.a@pnlassociates.com> wrote:
> After verifying that the postmaster was not running you did remove the
> postmaster.pid file, right?
>
> FATAL: lock file "postmaster.pid"already exists
>

> On 3/2/10 11:43 AM, Major Services wrote:
>>
>> Help me start the server.
>> As I mentioned in an earlier post today (subject: password
>> authentication failed for user postgres), 'service postgresql restart'
>> had stopped the server but  *server
>> start failed*.
>>
>> Step wise list of commands to be given would be great!
>> Do I need to login as postgres?
>>
>> Being new to PostgreSQL, am looking for some hand-holding.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Viv

Re: Restart failed with 'service postgresql restart'

От
Major Services
Дата:
'pg_ctl status' returns 'neither postmaster nor postgres running'.

Looking for help restart postgres.

Thanks

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Major Services <services.major@gmail.com> wrote:
> Where to look for postmaster.pid?
> It is not in the data directory. There is one file postmaster.opts there.
>
> Should I try running 'pg_ctl start -l logfile' ?
>
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Paul Anderson <paul.a@pnlassociates.com> wrote:
>> After verifying that the postmaster was not running you did remove the
>> postmaster.pid file, right?
>>
>> FATAL: lock file "postmaster.pid"already exists
>>

>> On 3/2/10 11:43 AM, Major Services wrote:
>>>
>>> Help me start the server.
>>> As I mentioned in an earlier post today (subject: password
>>> authentication failed for user postgres), 'service postgresql restart'
>>> had stopped the server but  *server
>>> start failed*.
>>>
>>> Step wise list of commands to be given would be great!
>>> Do I need to login as postgres?
>>>
>>> Being new to PostgreSQL, am looking for some hand-holding.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Viv
>>>

>> --

Re: Restart failed with 'service postgresql restart'

От
Iñigo Martinez Lasala
Дата:
Let's see.
Could you provide us again pgstartup.log?

First problem was you had a problem with postgresql.conf syntax.
Then, you had a problem with lock files, probably because a bad shutdown (perhaps a kill?)

Anyway, how long have you worked with Unix environments? I think you are new to this world, don't you? ;-)

In order to start postgres you have several ways to do it.

- as root user: "service postgresql start" or "/etc/init.d/postgresql start"
- as postgres user "su - postgres", run "pg_ctl start -D /var/lib/pgsql"

'pg_ctl status' returns 'neither postmaster nor postgres running'.

Looking for help restart postgres.

Thanks

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Major Services <services.major@gmail.com> wrote:
> Where to look for postmaster.pid?
> It is not in the data directory. There is one file postmaster.opts there.
>
> Should I try running 'pg_ctl start -l logfile' ?
>
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Paul Anderson <paul.a@pnlassociates.com> wrote:
>> After verifying that the postmaster was not running you did remove the
>> postmaster.pid file, right?
>>
>> FATAL: lock file "postmaster.pid"already exists
>>

>> On 3/2/10 11:43 AM, Major Services wrote:
>>>
>>> Help me start the server.
>>> As I mentioned in an earlier post today (subject: password
>>> authentication failed for user postgres), 'service postgresql restart'
>>> had stopped the server but  *server
>>> start failed*.
>>>
>>> Step wise list of commands to be given would be great!
>>> Do I need to login as postgres?
>>>
>>> Being new to PostgreSQL, am looking for some hand-holding.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Viv
>>>

>> --

Re: Restart failed with 'service postgresql restart'

От
Paul Anderson
Дата:
For me, postmaster.pid is in the same directory as postgresql.conf.  Do
you still get the message about the pid file when you try to start?

Paul

On 3/2/10 11:28 PM, Major Services wrote:
> Where to look for postmaster.pid?
> It is not in the data directory. There is one file postmaster.opts there.
>
> Should I try running 'pg_ctl start -l logfile' ?
>
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Paul Anderson<paul.a@pnlassociates.com>  wrote:
>
>> After verifying that the postmaster was not running you did remove the
>> postmaster.pid file, right?
>>
>> FATAL: lock file "postmaster.pid"already exists
>>

>> On 3/2/10 11:43 AM, Major Services wrote:
>>
>>> Help me start the server.
>>> As I mentioned in an earlier post today (subject: password
>>> authentication failed for user postgres), 'service postgresql restart'
>>> had stopped the server but  *server
>>> start failed*.
>>>
>>> Step wise list of commands to be given would be great!
>>> Do I need to login as postgres?
>>>
>>> Being new to PostgreSQL, am looking for some hand-holding.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Viv
>>>

>> --

Re: Restart failed with 'service postgresql restart'

От
Major Services
Дата:
Hi,

There is no change in the pgstartup.log

Now I hope,  I can run the start command; either one of the two - by
root or postgres. Right?

Yes, I am new to both; as mentioned earlier also.
Look forward to mastering PostgreSQL with the help of the community!

Thanks a lot.