Обсуждение: vacuumdb in parallel

vacuumdb in parallel

От
Anj Adu
Дата:
I am running Postgres 8.1.9 on an 8 core Xeon 5430 box that is showing
single digit CPU and IO utilization. the database size is 820G .
Vacuum_cost_delay=0 and maintenance_mem = 900M

Is there an option to vacuumdb or a way to make it run parallel threads.

Re: vacuumdb in parallel

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Anj Adu <fotographs@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running Postgres 8.1.9 on an 8 core Xeon 5430 box that is showing
> single digit CPU and IO utilization. the database size is 820G .
> Vacuum_cost_delay=0 and maintenance_mem = 900M
>
> Is there an option to vacuumdb or a way to make it run parallel threads.

I think that option showed up in 8.2 or 8.3.

Re: vacuumdb in parallel

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 19:40 -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Anj Adu <fotographs@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am running Postgres 8.1.9 on an 8 core Xeon 5430 box that is showing
> > single digit CPU and IO utilization. the database size is 820G .
> > Vacuum_cost_delay=0 and maintenance_mem = 900M
> >
> > Is there an option to vacuumdb or a way to make it run parallel threads.
>
> I think that option showed up in 8.2 or 8.3.

There is no option to do that yet at any release.

We have parallel pg_restore, but that doesn't apply to vacuumdb,
reindexdb, clusterdb or any custom written jobs.

You need to break out your top few tables into separate jobs, e.g.
vacuumdb -t big1
vacuumdb -t big2

Re: vacuumdb in parallel

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 1:34 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 19:40 -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Anj Adu <fotographs@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I am running Postgres 8.1.9 on an 8 core Xeon 5430 box that is showing
>> > single digit CPU and IO utilization. the database size is 820G .
>> > Vacuum_cost_delay=0 and maintenance_mem = 900M
>> >
>> > Is there an option to vacuumdb or a way to make it run parallel threads.
>>
>> I think that option showed up in 8.2 or 8.3.
>
> There is no option to do that yet at any release.
>
> We have parallel pg_restore, but that doesn't apply to vacuumdb,
> reindexdb, clusterdb or any custom written jobs.
>
> You need to break out your top few tables into separate jobs, e.g.
> vacuumdb -t big1
> vacuumdb -t big2

I was thinking of autovacuum, which does indeed have that option.
Much simpler to me, just set the autovac thresholds right and it's
automatic.

Re: vacuumdb in parallel

От
Anj Adu
Дата:
Thanks

I have several "daily" tables that get dropped every day..Is there a
wildcard that I can use to tell vacuumdb NOT to vacuum those
tables...i.e  my goal is to ensure that vacuumdb vacuums the entire
database (minus the daily tables that get dropped)  so that the XID
wraparound value gets reset correctly once vacuumdb is done.  The
daily tables have suffixes like 2009_01_01, 2009_01_02 etc.

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:34 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 19:40 -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Anj Adu <fotographs@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I am running Postgres 8.1.9 on an 8 core Xeon 5430 box that is showing
>> > single digit CPU and IO utilization. the database size is 820G .
>> > Vacuum_cost_delay=0 and maintenance_mem = 900M
>> >
>> > Is there an option to vacuumdb or a way to make it run parallel threads.
>>
>> I think that option showed up in 8.2 or 8.3.
>
> There is no option to do that yet at any release.
>
> We have parallel pg_restore, but that doesn't apply to vacuumdb,
> reindexdb, clusterdb or any custom written jobs.
>
> You need to break out your top few tables into separate jobs, e.g.
> vacuumdb -t big1
> vacuumdb -t big2

>  Simon Riggs           www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: vacuumdb in parallel

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Anj Adu escribió:

> I have several "daily" tables that get dropped every day..Is there a
> wildcard that I can use to tell vacuumdb NOT to vacuum those
> tables...

No.  You need to do "INSERT INTO pg_autovacuum" (or ALTER TABLE/SET in 8.4)
just after you've created the table.

Re: vacuumdb in parallel

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 13:57 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Anj Adu escribió:
>
> > I have several "daily" tables that get dropped every day..Is there a
> > wildcard that I can use to tell vacuumdb NOT to vacuum those
> > tables...
>
> No.  You need to do "INSERT INTO pg_autovacuum" (or ALTER TABLE/SET in 8.4)
> just after you've created the table.

This doesn't work with vacuumdb, only with autovacuum.

Re: vacuumdb in parallel

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Simon Riggs escribió:
> On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 13:57 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Anj Adu escribió:
> >
> > > I have several "daily" tables that get dropped every day..Is there a
> > > wildcard that I can use to tell vacuumdb NOT to vacuum those
> > > tables...
> >
> > No.  You need to do "INSERT INTO pg_autovacuum" (or ALTER TABLE/SET in 8.4)
> > just after you've created the table.
>
> This doesn't work with vacuumdb, only with autovacuum.

Ah, that's right.  But then I see no reason why autovacuum wouldn't work
for him with this (he doesn't seem to have tried it).

Re: vacuumdb in parallel

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 09:24 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Simon Riggs escribió:

> > > No.  You need to do "INSERT INTO pg_autovacuum" (or ALTER TABLE/SET in 8.4)
> > > just after you've created the table.
> >
> > This doesn't work with vacuumdb, only with autovacuum.
>
> Ah, that's right.  But then I see no reason why autovacuum wouldn't work
> for him with this (he doesn't seem to have tried it).

IIRC he wanted to do vacuum in parallel using 8.1

That's before you did your fine work to improve autovacuum.