Обсуждение: Off-topic - Hardware recommendation

Off-topic - Hardware recommendation

От
"Benjamin Krajmalnik"

I apologize for the slightly off-topic question.

I will be building a new PostgreSQL server running 8.4 on FreeBSD 7.2 64-bit.

The nature of the application dictates that we use shared storage to provide high availability (in case one of the servers has a failure).

After doing some research in the various lists, it is apparent that an iSCSI SAN is NOT the way to fo, so we are looking at getting a Fibre Channel SAN (a Hitachi).

My question deals more than anything on the Fibre Channel host adapter – is anyone using a Finre Channel adapter on FreeBSD which they can recommend?

My biggest concern is to get one that is definitely supported.

TIA,

Benjamin

Re: Off-topic - Hardware recommendation

От
Alan McKay
Дата:
You are probably best off asking this on a FreeBSD list.

Re: Off-topic - Hardware recommendation

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
"Benjamin Krajmalnik" <kraj@illumen.com> wrote:

> The nature of the application dictates that we use shared storage to
> provide high availability (in case one of the servers has a
> failure).

At the risk of starting a flame war, I'd suggest that you compare the
cost and benefit of the proposed solution to replication onto multiple
servers.  In my experience, SAN solutions have had more down time,
worse performance, and more lost data than directly attached storage.
The only thing that matched with the sales pitch was the higher price.
Don't sign off on any solution without doing your own testing.

-Kevin

Re: Off-topic - Hardware recommendation

От
Michael Monnerie
Дата:
On Mittwoch 29 Juli 2009 Benjamin Krajmalnik wrote:
> My question deals more than anything on the Fibre Channel host
> adapter - is anyone using a Finre Channel adapter on FreeBSD which
> they can recommend?

We have two HP DL 385 accessing a Fibre Channel Subsystem
http://www.starline.de/infortrend-eonstor-s12f-G1433-R1432/index.htm
which has redundant controllers, each with 2 ports.

In the HP we plugged FC controllers from QLogic:
# lspci:
Fibre Channel: QLogic Corp. ISP2432-based 4Gb Fibre Channel to PCI
Express HBA (rev 03)

Each of these controllers has 2 ports, so we have redundant access from
each server to each controller.

On the servers, we run XenServer 5 HP edition (booting from USB) and
just had to select "use multipath" and everything worked automatically.
We tried removing a single connection, and it still works like a charm.

The reason why we didn't buy a HP DSA storage is that the disks are way
too expensive from HP, we now use Fujitsu 15k disks and they are very
fast and save a lot of money.

mfg zmi
// Tel: 0660 / 415 65 31                      .network.your.ideas.
// Keyserver: wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net                  Key-ID: 1C1209B4

Вложения