Обсуждение: Make the primary key a multilingual value

Make the primary key a multilingual value

От
Ransika de Silva
Дата:
Hi all,

I have a requirement of storing multilingual words and hence planing to utilize the Unicode support of the database tables. The question that I have is, will there be a problem if I make the primary key of a table multilingual, in the sense let's say we are storing names of each country in English, German, Sinhala (Language used in Sri Lanka) and Japanese in the same table, so having the country name column to store different languages will it be a problem?

We require to search the database for the matching names.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,
Ransika De Silva

Re: Make the primary key a multilingual value

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On Saturday 04 July 2009 20:44:11 Ransika de Silva wrote:
> I have a requirement of storing multilingual words and hence planing to
> utilize the Unicode support of the database tables. The question that I
> have is, will there be a problem if I make the primary key of a table
> multilingual,

Not unless you create the problem yourself. :-)  Shouldn't be a problem as far
as PostgreSQL is concerned.