Обсуждение: Problem with .pgpass

Problem with .pgpass

От
Nicolas Michel
Дата:
Hi here,

I'm trying to make my dump script working but it is not.

I tried to put my password in a .pgpass file into the home directory of the root user (so /root/.pgpass). Here is a cat of that file :
*:*:*:*:test

(I tried only with stars to be sure my rule was not too strict).

So, il I try this command :
root@pc:~ # psql -h localhost -U postgres
I get :
psql: FATAL:  authentification par mot de passe échouée pour l'utilisateur  « postgres »
(this is in french but it means that the password authentication method failed for the user 'postgres')

If I rename my .pgpass into .pgpass.old, I can log in to postgres with the same command :
root@pc:~ # psql -h localhost -U postgres
When prompt for a password, I enter 'test' and it's working ...

Someone understand where's the problem?

Re: Problem with .pgpass

Дата:
Nicolas Michel <nicolas.michel@lemail.be> writes:
> I tried to put my password in a .pgpass file into the home directory of
> the root user (so /root/.pgpass). Here is a cat of that file :
> *:*:*:*:test

> (I tried only with stars to be sure my rule was not too strict).

> So, il I try this command :

>         root@pc:~ # psql -h localhost -U postgres

> I get :

>         psql: FATAL:  authentification par mot de passe échouée pour
>         l'utilisateur  « postgres »

If it is not prompting you for a password then it must have successfully
gotten a password out of the file (and then failed because it's the
wrong password).  I'm guessing the problem is something silly like extra
trailing space on the line with the password.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Problem with .pgpass

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: Problem with .pgpass

От
Scott Mead

> I tried to put my password in a .pgpass file into the home directory of
> the root user (so /root/.pgpass). Here is a cat of that file :
> *:*:*:*:test
>
>        psql: FATAL:  authentification par mot de passe choue pour
> When prompt for a password, I enter 'test' and it's working ...

  Does the file have permissions of 600?

--Scott

Re: Problem with .pgpass

От
Nicolas Michel
Дата:
There was indeed a blank after the line (after the password)... ^^
To Scott : yes, I set the file with 0600 permissions ;)

Thank you very much for your help.