Обсуждение: Pg_dump consistency.

Pg_dump consistency.

От
samana srikanth
Дата:
Hi All

I have a doubt.
let's say i have 100 tables in a database DB.

when i say "pg_dump -d DB"

It dumps the tables one after another.

my question is lets say we have dependent tables.
and at the time of pg_dump, we are bombarding the database tables with lots of data (inserts).

At time 1 (dump of table1 is done)

Table1
---------
Id1 row1
-----------

Table2
---------
Id1 rowx1
-----------

At time 2 (dump of table2 is going on)

Table1
---------
Id1 row1
Id2 row2
-----------

Table2
---------
Id1 rowx1
Id2 rowx2
-----------

Now in this scenaio
will the dump contains the consistent data.??

Thanks
Srikanth

Re: Pg_dump consistency.

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 3:37 AM, samana srikanth
<samanasrikanth@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All
> I have a doubt.
> let's say i have 100 tables in a database DB.
> when i say "pg_dump -d DB"
> It dumps the tables one after another.
> my question is lets say we have dependent tables.
> and at the time of pg_dump, we are bombarding the database tables with lots
> of data (inserts).

pg_dump runs in a serialized transaction, so it will always take a
consistent backup.  This will not be a problem.