Обсуждение: Strongly typed?

Strongly typed?

От
Carol Walter
Дата:
I'm  moving from PostgreSQL 8.2.4 to PostgreSQL 8.3.6.  When I restore
the databases from the old instance to the new one, I get a lot of
errors where the data types in keys don't match, e.g. the data type is
integer in the base file but defined as numeric in the file that it is
linked to.  These are running databases so this situation must have
been negotiated by 8.2 but not my 8.3.  Is this something relatively
new that I'm encountering, or is there a parameter someplace that I
have set too tightly.

BTW, I do see the value of the stronger typing; I just need to figure
out what to do to get these user's data to the new instance.

Thanks,
Carol

Re: Strongly typed?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Carol Walter wrote:
> I'm  moving from PostgreSQL 8.2.4 to PostgreSQL 8.3.6.  When I restore
> the databases from the old instance to the new one, I get a lot of
> errors where the data types in keys don't match, e.g. the data type is
> integer in the base file but defined as numeric in the file that it is
> linked to.  These are running databases so this situation must have been
> negotiated by 8.2 but not my 8.3.  Is this something relatively new that
> I'm encountering, or is there a parameter someplace that I have set too
> tightly.

It's new -- some casts changed from implicit to explicit in 8.3.

Re: Strongly typed?

От
Carol Walter
Дата:
Thanks so much.  That's what I needed to know.  I'm going to have to
make some modifications to my script so that it reports what databases
it's loading, and take steps to change the data types or, at least,
hold them out.

Carol

On Mar 13, 2009, at 11:13 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Carol Walter wrote:
>> I'm  moving from PostgreSQL 8.2.4 to PostgreSQL 8.3.6.  When I
>> restore
>> the databases from the old instance to the new one, I get a lot of
>> errors where the data types in keys don't match, e.g. the data type
>> is
>> integer in the base file but defined as numeric in the file that it
>> is
>> linked to.  These are running databases so this situation must have
>> been
>> negotiated by 8.2 but not my 8.3.  Is this something relatively new
>> that
>> I'm encountering, or is there a parameter someplace that I have set
>> too
>> tightly.
>
> It's new -- some casts changed from implicit to explicit in 8.3.
>
> --
> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

Re: Strongly typed?

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Carol Walter <walterc@indiana.edu> wrote:
> Thanks so much.  That's what I needed to know.  I'm going to have to make
> some modifications to my script so that it reports what databases it's
> out.

It might be easier to change them before dumping them out, in the
source database.

Re: Strongly typed?

От
Carol Walter
Дата:
That would be a better plan, but I don't know what they are.  Is there
an integrity check utility that will run the databases and check this?

Carol

On Mar 13, 2009, at 12:18 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Carol Walter <walterc@indiana.edu>
> wrote:
>> Thanks so much.  That's what I needed to know.  I'm going to have
>> to make
>> some modifications to my script so that it reports what databases
>> it's
>> them
>> out.
>
> It might be easier to change them before dumping them out, in the
> source database.

Re: Strongly typed?

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Carol Walter <walterc@indiana.edu> wrote:
> That would be a better plan, but I don't know what they are.  Is there an
> integrity check utility that will run the databases and check this?

I'd just pg_dump -s (schema only) then restore the schema to an 8.3
and look for errors.