Обсуждение: vacuum full...

vacuum full...

От
Jessica Richard
Дата:
I am running "vacuum full" via a shell script for a list of large databases now... and I may run out of my scheduled system down time....

If I don't finish all databases and kill the script in the middle... am I going to cause any table corruptions since "vacuum full" is rebuilding the tables and indexes....

thanks,
Jessica

Re: vacuum full...

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Jessica Richard <rjessil@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am running "vacuum full" via a shell script for a list of large databases
> now... and I may run out of my scheduled system down time....
>
> If I don't finish all databases and kill the script in the middle... am I
> going to cause any table corruptions since "vacuum full" is rebuilding the
> tables and indexes....

No.  But may I ask why you are running vacuum full?  Is it a regular
thing.  Do all your tables in all your dbs actually need it?

Re: vacuum full...

От
Rafael Domiciano
Дата:
I used to run vacuum full in one of my bases, but now i'm not running anymore vacuum full, just vacuum analyze in the past 1 month, but the number of necessary pages is increasing every day, now it's in 311264... there is any problem this get increasing?
When I runned Reindex few days ago, this number get not decreased.
I now that vacuum full reorders the relation, but it's the only thing that it does?

Thnks,

Rafael Domiciano

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Jessica Richard <rjessil@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am running "vacuum full" via a shell script for a list of large databases
> now... and I may run out of my scheduled system down time....
>
> If I don't finish all databases and kill the script in the middle... am I
> going to cause any table corruptions since "vacuum full" is rebuilding the
> tables and indexes....

No.  But may I ask why you are running vacuum full?  Is it a regular
thing.  Do all your tables in all your dbs actually need it?

Re: vacuum full...

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Rafael Domiciano
<rafael.domiciano@gmail.com> wrote:
> I used to run vacuum full in one of my bases, but now i'm not running
> anymore vacuum full, just vacuum analyze in the past 1 month, but the number
> of necessary pages is increasing every day, now it's in 311264... there is
> any problem this get increasing?
> When I runned Reindex few days ago, this number get not decreased.
> I now that vacuum full reorders the relation, but it's the only thing that
> it does?

Same question I had for the other poster, why are you not running
autovacuum?  Has it proven itself not up to the task?

Re: vacuum full...

От
Rafael Domiciano
Дата:
I don't have too much delete and update in the middle of the day to run autovacuum, but in the night, before vacuum analyze, there is some proccess that does delete and update, then run vacuum analyze.