Обсуждение: vacuum monitoring question

vacuum monitoring question

От
Kevin Kempter

Hi All;

I'm working on a vacuum monitor script to alert us when tables start to grow out of control per dead space. Initially I excluded the system catalog schemas (pg_catalog, pg_toast, etc) however I wonder if maybe I should monitor these as well. PLus I'm looking for any input as to specifically what to look for - I've calculated a 'fill factor' which shows the average page fill as a percentage but I wonder what other metrics may help monitor possible problem tables effeciently..

Thoughts ?

Thanks in advance

Re: vacuum monitoring question

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Kevin Kempter
<kevink@consistentstate.com> wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> I'm working on a vacuum monitor script to alert us when tables start to grow
> out of control per dead space. Initially I excluded the system catalog
> schemas (pg_catalog, pg_toast, etc) however I wonder if maybe I should
> monitor these as well. PLus I'm looking for any input as to specifically
> what to look for - I've calculated a 'fill factor' which shows the average
> page fill as a percentage but I wonder what other metrics may help monitor
> possible problem tables effeciently..

It's a good idea to keep an eye on system catalogs, especially if you
have a fair bit of DDL going on in your usage.  I'd take a look at
what the check_postgresql.pl script does.  No need to reproduce all
that work on your own.

On Wednesday 24 December 2008 09:56:29 Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Kevin Kempter

> <kevink@consistentstate.com> wrote:

> > Hi All;

> > I'm working on a vacuum monitor script to alert us when tables start to

> > grow out of control per dead space. Initially I excluded the system

> > catalog schemas (pg_catalog, pg_toast, etc) however I wonder if maybe I

> > should monitor these as well. PLus I'm looking for any input as to

> > specifically what to look for - I've calculated a 'fill factor' which

> > shows the average page fill as a percentage but I wonder what other

> > metrics may help monitor possible problem tables effeciently..

> It's a good idea to keep an eye on system catalogs, especially if you

> have a fair bit of DDL going on in your usage. I'd take a look at

> what the check_postgresql.pl script does. No need to reproduce all

> that work on your own.

Thanks for the feedback - where can I find the check_postgresql.pl script ?

Re: vacuum monitoring question

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Kevin Kempter

http://bucardo.org/check_postgres/