Обсуждение: 32bit data on 64bit machine?

32bit data on 64bit machine?

От
Martin Badie
Дата:
Hi,

I have a 64 bit machine that has 32 bit pgsql rpms (8.2.5) installed. If  I install 64 bit of the same version does that create any problems? Of course I am thinking to make a dump but I wanted to ask first because db is very huge (about 100 gb)

Regards?

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: 32bit data on 64bit machine?

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
>>> Martin Badie <martinbadie@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a 64 bit machine that has 32 bit pgsql rpms (8.2.5) installed.
If  I
> install 64 bit of the same version does that create any problems?

They can co-exist with no problem.  When you are running multiple
instances of PostgreSQL on the same box, you usually want to use
different port numbers.  If it's going to be a long-term thing, I
highly recommend a different OS user ID own the data directory for
each instance.  (I wouldn't do that just for a conversion, though.)

> Of course I am thinking to make a dump

Right.  We have been converting databases from 32-bit to 64-bit by
first updating the OS to 64 bit, then later using pg_dumpall piped to
psql on the same box.  It's been working great.

-Kevin

Re: 32bit data on 64bit machine?

От
Shane Ambler
Дата:
Martin Badie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 64 bit machine that has 32 bit pgsql rpms (8.2.5) installed.
> If  I install 64 bit of the same version does that create any
> problems? Of course I am thinking to make a dump but I wanted to ask
> first because db is very huge (about 100 gb)

The 32bit and 64bit will not read from the same data files.
You will need to dump and restore to transfer the data across.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz