Обсуждение: Postgres database as a client/server architecture

Postgres database as a client/server architecture

От
"Mohammed Rashid"
Дата:
Hi All,

I have use the Postgres database as a client/server architecture.
I mean I want to run the clients on different PCs and want that all
the transactions should get automatically updated in the server.
It should also take care of network disconnections and update the
server after network connections automatically.

Please let me know how can I do it.

I am hoping to read soon from you.

Regards,
Rashid

Re: Postgres database as a client/server architecture

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 12:23 AM, Mohammed Rashid <mail4rashid@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have use the Postgres database as a client/server architecture.
> I mean I want to run the clients on different PCs and want that all
> the transactions should get automatically updated in the server.
> It should also take care of network disconnections and update the
> server after network connections automatically.

PostgreSQL already is a client server architecture.  However, it
sounds like what you're actually looking for is some kind of client AS
server method where the clients can operate independently then update
the database at some later date.

PostgreSQL has no facilities to do this on its own.

Re: Postgres database as a client/server architecture

От
Rich
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 12:23 AM, Mohammed Rashid <mail4rashid@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have use the Postgres database as a client/server architecture.
>> I mean I want to run the clients on different PCs and want that all
>> the transactions should get automatically updated in the server.
>> It should also take care of network disconnections and update the
>> server after network connections automatically.
>
> PostgreSQL already is a client server architecture.  However, it
> sounds like what you're actually looking for is some kind of client AS
> server method where the clients can operate independently then update
> the database at some later date.
>
> PostgreSQL has no facilities to do this on its own.

Actually it does have those facilities to do such an architecture.
Its callled psql.  Postgresql's verison of sql. just write sql
statements to update, delete or add records accordingly. You can do
this using a web interface, another client db like access or paradox.
There are tons of ways to do it.  you can use an odbc interface.  So
postgress does come with everything you need.

Re: Postgres database as a client/server architecture

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Rich <rhdyes@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 12:23 AM, Mohammed Rashid <mail4rashid@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have use the Postgres database as a client/server architecture.
>>> I mean I want to run the clients on different PCs and want that all
>>> the transactions should get automatically updated in the server.
>>> It should also take care of network disconnections and update the
>>> server after network connections automatically.
>>
>> PostgreSQL already is a client server architecture.  However, it
>> sounds like what you're actually looking for is some kind of client AS
>> server method where the clients can operate independently then update
>> the database at some later date.
>>
>> PostgreSQL has no facilities to do this on its own.
>
> Actually it does have those facilities to do such an architecture.
> Its callled psql.  Postgresql's verison of sql. just write sql
> statements to update, delete or add records accordingly. You can do
> this using a web interface, another client db like access or paradox.
> There are tons of ways to do it.  you can use an odbc interface.  So
> postgress does come with everything you need.

Not if what the OP wants is the lotus notes type functionality where
things are updated on the client, and at some later date updated on
the main server and all data inconsistencies are automagically taken
care of.

OTOH, if all the OP wanted was to just have plain old client - server
architecture, yeah, that's built right in to psql / libpq...

Re: Postgres database as a client/server architecture

От
Montaseri
Дата:
I'd say, don't overwhelm the original ask-er. Let him explain this problem statement again.
So far we know he wants a client server.
Rashid,
Do you want thin client (like web based) or thick like X11 or Java or VB client?
Do you want the data processing be  on the server (more reliable but slower), or do you want some of the processing on the client (faster but more complex)?

Medi

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 8:08 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Rich <rhdyes@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 12:23 AM, Mohammed Rashid <mail4rashid@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have use the Postgres database as a client/server architecture.
>>> I mean I want to run the clients on different PCs and want that all
>>> the transactions should get automatically updated in the server.
>>> It should also take care of network disconnections and update the
>>> server after network connections automatically.
>>
>> PostgreSQL already is a client server architecture.  However, it
>> sounds like what you're actually looking for is some kind of client AS
>> server method where the clients can operate independently then update
>> the database at some later date.
>>
>> PostgreSQL has no facilities to do this on its own.
>
> Actually it does have those facilities to do such an architecture.
> Its callled psql.  Postgresql's verison of sql. just write sql
> statements to update, delete or add records accordingly. You can do
> this using a web interface, another client db like access or paradox.
> There are tons of ways to do it.  you can use an odbc interface.  So
> postgress does come with everything you need.

Not if what the OP wants is the lotus notes type functionality where
things are updated on the client, and at some later date updated on
the main server and all data inconsistencies are automagically taken
care of.

OTOH, if all the OP wanted was to just have plain old client - server
architecture, yeah, that's built right in to psql / libpq...

Re: Postgres database as a client/server architecture

От
"Mohammed Rashid"
Дата:
Hi All,

I think there is some confusion regarding this.
I want postgres to be installed at two different PCs.Then the data
from each postgres should be automatically updated to the third PC
which we call server.
This process should be automatic. It should also take care of network
disconnection between client and server.
After establishment of network connections the remaining data should
be automatically updated to the server.
It is bit different from the mirroring of databases, but the concept is same.

I just want to ask whether the Postgres database supports this or not?
Or I have to write an application to do so.

I am hoping to read soon from you.

Thanks for your response.

Regards,
Rashid

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 7:08 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Rich <rhdyes@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> PostgreSQL already is a client server architecture.  However, it
>>> sounds like what you're actually looking for is some kind of client AS
>>> server method where the clients can operate independently then update
>>> the database at some later date.
>>>
>>> PostgreSQL has no facilities to do this on its own.
>>
>> Actually it does have those facilities to do such an architecture.
>> Its callled psql.  Postgresql's verison of sql. just write sql
>> statements to update, delete or add records accordingly. You can do
>> this using a web interface, another client db like access or paradox.
>> There are tons of ways to do it.  you can use an odbc interface.  So
>> postgress does come with everything you need.
>
> Not if what the OP wants is the lotus notes type functionality where
> things are updated on the client, and at some later date updated on
> the main server and all data inconsistencies are automagically taken
> care of.
>
> OTOH, if all the OP wanted was to just have plain old client - server
> architecture, yeah, that's built right in to psql / libpq...

Re: Postgres database as a client/server architecture

От
"Jonah H. Harris"
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Mohammed Rashid <mail4rashid@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just want to ask whether the Postgres database supports this or not?
> Or I have to write an application to do so.

Not natively.  You could do it via some Slony trickery, but it would
be very advanced and difficult to manage.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Senior DBA
myYearbook.com

Re: Postgres database as a client/server architecture

От
"Mohammed Rashid"
Дата:
Hi Medi,

I have use thick client. I want data processing on the client side.

Regards,
Rashid

On 10/7/08, Montaseri <montaseri@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd say, don't overwhelm the original ask-er. Let him explain this problem
> statement again.
> So far we know he wants a client server.
> Rashid,
> Do you want thin client (like web based) or thick like X11 or Java or VB
> client?
>  Do you want the data processing be  on the server (more reliable but
> slower), or do you want some of the processing on the client (faster but
> more complex)?
>
> Medi
>

> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 8:08 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Rich <rhdyes@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Actually it does have those facilities to do such an architecture.
> > > Its callled psql.  Postgresql's verison of sql. just write sql
> > > statements to update, delete or add records accordingly. You can do
> > > this using a web interface, another client db like access or paradox.
> > > There are tons of ways to do it.  you can use an odbc interface.  So
> > > postgress does come with everything you need.
> >
> > Not if what the OP wants is the lotus notes type functionality where
> > things are updated on the client, and at some later date updated on
> > the main server and all data inconsistencies are automagically taken
> > care of.
> >
> > OTOH, if all the OP wanted was to just have plain old client - server
> > architecture, yeah, that's built right in to psql / libpq...
> >
> > --

Re: Postgres database as a client/server architecture

От
Shane Ambler
Дата:
Mohammed Rashid wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I think there is some confusion regarding this. I want postgres to be
> installed at two different PCs.Then the data from each postgres
> should be automatically updated to the third PC which we call server.
>  This process should be automatic. It should also take care of
> network disconnection between client and server. After establishment
> of network connections the remaining data should be automatically
> updated to the server. It is bit different from the mirroring of
> databases, but the concept is same.
>
> I just want to ask whether the Postgres database supports this or
> not? Or I have to write an application to do so.

I think this sounds like you want a server in the office and the two
clients are maybe laptops that want to synchronise changes between their
own data and the office server when they come into the office. So they
would send changes to the server as well as receive changes from the server.

This case of intermittent network connections isn't usually handled by
replication options so would be a custom setup by you. To automate the
task you want some sort of heartbeat monitor to detect the presence of
the server and perform the synchronising.

You will either want a list of changed records per client or modified
timestamps to determine what has changed since the last synchronise, as
well as define actions upon conflicts.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz