Обсуждение: understand the process of ID wraparound

understand the process of ID wraparound

От
KKreuzer@kbtoys.com

I am hoping someone can help a novice understand the process of ID wraparound, I have read many of the articles
on the web but don't understand why my age(datfrozenxid) never gets reset. I am not sure if I even have a
problem, just trying to be proactive.
 First the details:

select version() ;
"PostgreSQL 8.2.6 on powerpc-ibm-aix5.2.0.0, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.0.0"

show vacuum_freeze_min_age;
"100,000,000"

show autovacuum_freeze_max_age;
"200,000,000"

show autovacuum;
"off"

SELECT datname, age(datfrozenxid) FROM pg_database;
"postgres"                31041670
"dprodxml"                31041670
"dflash"                        31041670
"pg_dprodcca"                31041670
"template1"                31041670
"template0"                31041670
"dstorens"                31041670
"dprod360"                31041670

We run a vacuum every morning at 2:45 am:   vacuumdb --all --analyze --echo

vacuumdb: vacuuming database "postgres"
SELECT datname FROM pg_database WHERE datallowconn;
VACUUM ANALYZE;
VACUUM
vacuumdb: vacuuming database "dprodxml"
VACUUM ANALYZE;
VACUUM
vacuumdb: vacuuming database "dflash"
VACUUM ANALYZE;
VACUUM
vacuumdb: vacuuming database "pg_dprodcca"
VACUUM ANALYZE;
VACUUM
vacuumdb: vacuuming database "template1"
VACUUM ANALYZE;
VACUUM
vacuumdb: vacuuming database "dstorens"
VACUUM ANALYZE;
VACUUM
vacuumdb: vacuuming database "dprod360"
VACUUM ANALYZE;
VACUUM

I run the query  "SELECT datname, age(datfrozenxid) FROM pg_database;"  every morning with the
values continue to rise.

        age(datfrozenxid)
9/24          27,280,414
9/25        27,688,967
9/26        28,166,896
9/29        31,040,346

If someone could help me understand the process, it would be greatly appreciated.

Keith Kreuzer
ext 3424

Re: understand the process of ID wraparound

Дата:
KKreuzer@kbtoys.com writes:
> I am hoping someone can help a novice understand the process of ID
> wraparound, I have read many of the articles
> on the web but don't understand why my age(datfrozenxid) never gets reset.
> I am not sure if I even have a
> problem, just trying to be proactive.

You don't have a problem.  The datfrozenxid values you are showing are
around 31 million transactions.  Nothing is going to happen until they
exceed vacuum_freeze_min_age, which is 100 million transactions.

            regards, tom lane

Re: understand the process of ID wraparound

От
KKreuzer@kbtoys.com

Thank you Tom..

Can you recommend any documentation that explains the process?

Keith Kreuzer
ext 3424

Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>

09/29/2008 10:00 AM

KKreuzer@kbtoys.com
cc
pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject
Re: [ADMIN] understand the process of ID wraparound

KKreuzer@kbtoys.com writes:
> I am hoping someone can help a novice understand the process of ID
> wraparound, I have read many of the articles
> on the web but don't understand why my age(datfrozenxid) never gets reset.
> I am not sure if I even have a
> problem, just trying to be proactive.

You don't have a problem.  The datfrozenxid values you are showing are
around 31 million transactions.  Nothing is going to happen until they
exceed vacuum_freeze_min_age, which is 100 million transactions.

                                                  regards, tom lane

Re: understand the process of ID wraparound

Дата:
KKreuzer@kbtoys.com writes:
> Can you recommend any documentation that explains the process?

Did you read
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/routine-vacuuming.html
(adjust URL if you are running some other major PG version)

            regards, tom lane