Обсуждение: PostgreSQL Cache

PostgreSQL Cache

От
"Matthew Pulis"
Дата:
Hi,

I need to perform some timed testing, thus need to make sure that disk cache does not affect me. Is clearing the OS (Ubuntu) disk cache, ( by running:  sudo echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches ) enough to do this? If not can you please point me to some site please since all I am finding is such command.

Thanks and regards

Matthew

--
Matthew Pulis
MSN : pulis_matthew[@]hotmail.com

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Cache

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Matthew Pulis wrote:

> I need to perform some timed testing, thus need to make sure that disk cache
> does not affect me. Is clearing the OS (Ubuntu) disk cache, ( by running:
> sudo echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches ) enough to do this?

What you should do is:

1) Shutdown the database server (pg_ctl, sudo service postgresql stop,
etc.)
2) sync
3) sudo echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
4) Start the database server

That will clear both the database and OS cache with a minimum of junk left
behind in the process; clearing the cache without a sync is a bad idea.

Note that all of this will still leave behind whatever cache is in your
disk controller card or on the disk themselves available.  There are some
other techniques you could consider.  Add a setp 2.5 that generates a
bunch of data unused by the test, then sync again, and you've turned most
of that into useless caching.

Ideally, your test should be running against a large enough data set that
the dozens or couple of hundred megabytes that might be in those will only
add a bit of noise to whatever you're testing.  If you're not running a
larger test or going through tasts to make the caches clear, the only easy
way to make things more clear is to reboot the whole server.

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Cache

От
Joris Dobbelsteen
Дата:
Matthew Pulis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to perform some timed testing, thus need to make sure that disk
> cache does not affect me. Is clearing the OS (Ubuntu) disk cache, ( by
> running:  sudo echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches ) enough to
> do this? If not can you please point me to some site please since all
> I am finding is such command.

Look for methodologies for doing performance tests. A problem is that
the disk cache is an essential part that makes up for postgresql
performance. Also do not forget about overhead and inaccuracies that you
will affect your results.

In general performance tests are a rather large simulation of how your
application would use the database. It should be large enough for many
effects (such as initial cache state) to be neglected. It only provides
an average for the performance on your system configuration.
If you run it a few times more, you can compute the variation. It
provides some insight how stable your system is in handling the workload.

- Joris

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Cache

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
A while ago I wrote a script based on Dave Plonka work
http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka/fincore/

My script monitors system buffers and shared buffers
(if pg_buffercache installed) and I found it's almost useless to
check system buffers, since I got rather ridiculous numbers.

> I use it to investigate OS cacheing of PostgreSQL files and was
> surprized on 24 Gb server, total cache was about 30 Gb. How this is
> possible ?

I can send script and perl module if you want to play with.

Oleg

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Greg Smith wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Matthew Pulis wrote:
>
>> I need to perform some timed testing, thus need to make sure that disk
>> cache
>> does not affect me. Is clearing the OS (Ubuntu) disk cache, ( by running:
>> sudo echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches ) enough to do this?
>
> What you should do is:
>
> 1) Shutdown the database server (pg_ctl, sudo service postgresql stop, etc.)
> 2) sync
> 3) sudo echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
> 4) Start the database server
>
> That will clear both the database and OS cache with a minimum of junk left
> behind in the process; clearing the cache without a sync is a bad idea.
>
> Note that all of this will still leave behind whatever cache is in your disk
> controller card or on the disk themselves available.  There are some other
> techniques you could consider.  Add a setp 2.5 that generates a bunch of data
> unused by the test, then sync again, and you've turned most of that into
> useless caching.
>
> Ideally, your test should be running against a large enough data set that the
> dozens or couple of hundred megabytes that might be in those will only add a
> bit of noise to whatever you're testing.  If you're not running a larger test
> or going through tasts to make the caches clear, the only easy way to make
> things more clear is to reboot the whole server.
>
> --
> * Greg Smith gsmith@gregsmith.com http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83