Обсуждение: unable to backup database -- psql not up to date

unable to backup database -- psql not up to date

От
dbchristopher
Дата:
I upgraded to postgresql 8.3.3 a few weeks ago, and it seems that while the
server was upgraded, but for some reason none of the accompanying software
was (pg_dump, psql, etc)

I get this error when I try to back up the database:
pg_dump: server version: 8.3.3; pg_dump version: 8.2.6
pg_dump: aborting because of version mismatch (Use the -i option to proceed
anyway.)
pg_dump: *** aborted because of error

and likewise when I log into the psql client:
WARNING: You are connected to a server with major version 8.3,
but your psql client is major version 8.2. Some backslash commands,
such as \d, might not work properly.

How could this have happened? I really need to be able to back up my
information. I reinstalled the software and it didn't change anything. What
do I do to upgrade pg_dump to the newest version?

Re: unable to backup database -- psql not up to date

От
"Jonathan Nalley"
Дата:
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 5:53 PM, dbchristopher <dbchristopher@gmail.com> wrote:

> I upgraded to postgresql 8.3.3 a few weeks ago, and it seems that while the
> server was upgraded, but for some reason none of the accompanying software
> was (pg_dump, psql, etc)
>
> I get this error when I try to back up the database:
> pg_dump: server version: 8.3.3; pg_dump version: 8.2.6
> pg_dump: aborting because of version mismatch (Use the -i option to proceed
> anyway.)
> pg_dump: *** aborted because of error
>
> and likewise when I log into the psql client:
> WARNING: You are connected to a server with major version 8.3,
> but your psql client is major version 8.2. Some backslash commands,
> such as \d, might not work properly.
>
> How could this have happened? I really need to be able to back up my
> information. I reinstalled the software and it didn't change anything. What
> do I do to upgrade pg_dump to the newest version?

What OS are you running on?

How did you perform this upgrade?  In a packaged form like rpm?  or
did you compile from source?

Re: unable to backup database -- psql not up to date

От
Valentin Bogdanov

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 5:53 PM, dbchristopher
> <dbchristopher@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I upgraded to postgresql 8.3.3 a few weeks ago, and it
> seems that while the
> > server was upgraded, but for some reason none of the
> accompanying software
> > was (pg_dump, psql, etc)
> >
> > I get this error when I try to back up the database:
> > pg_dump: server version: 8.3.3; pg_dump version: 8.2.6
> > pg_dump: aborting because of version mismatch (Use the
> -i option to proceed
> > anyway.)
> > pg_dump: *** aborted because of error
> >
> > and likewise when I log into the psql client:
> > WARNING: You are connected to a server with major
> version 8.3,
> > but your psql client is major version 8.2. Some
> backslash commands,
> > such as \d, might not work properly.
> >
> > How could this have happened? I really need to be able
> to back up my
> > information. I reinstalled the software and it
> didn't change anything. What
> > do I do to upgrade pg_dump to the newest version?
>
> What OS are you running on?
>
> How did you perform this upgrade?  In a packaged form like
> rpm?  or
> did you compile from source?

yup, the postgres clients are usually shipped in their own packages, separate from the server package. I do have to
manuallyupgrade the client packages on a Debian system.

Re: unable to backup database -- psql not up to date

От
Daniel Christopher
Дата:
> What OS are you running on?
>
> How did you perform this upgrade?  In a packaged form like rpm?  or
> did you compile from source?

I am running FreeBSD 6.1

I compiled from source, and followed the instructions in the
documentation about upgrading to a new major release (pg_dumpall,
shutdown, mv old version, install new version, restore)

Re: unable to backup database -- psql not up to date

От
Lennin Caro
> From: dbchristopher <dbchristopher@gmail.com>

> I upgraded to postgresql 8.3.3 a few weeks ago, and it seems
> that while the
> server was upgraded, but for some reason none of the
> accompanying software
> was (pg_dump, psql, etc)
>
> I get this error when I try to back up the database:
> pg_dump: server version: 8.3.3; pg_dump version: 8.2.6
> pg_dump: aborting because of version mismatch (Use the -i
> option to proceed
> anyway.)
> pg_dump: *** aborted because of error
>
> and likewise when I log into the psql client:
> WARNING: You are connected to a server with major version
> 8.3,
> but your psql client is major version 8.2. Some backslash
> commands,
> such as \d, might not work properly.
>
> How could this have happened? I really need to be able to
> back up my
> information. I reinstalled the software and it didn't
> change anything. What
> do I do to upgrade pg_dump to the newest version?
> Nabble.com.

Re: unable to backup database -- psql not up to date

Дата:
Daniel Christopher <dbchristopher@gmail.com> writes:
> I compiled from source, and followed the instructions in the
> documentation about upgrading to a new major release (pg_dumpall,
> shutdown, mv old version, install new version, restore)

Well, at that level of detail, it should've worked.  So the problem is
somewhere in the details you left out ...

Maybe you have a PATH that contains an older PG version in some other
directory?

            regards, tom lane

Re: unable to backup database -- psql not up to date

От
"Melissa Peterson"
Дата:
Just a thought, but did you compile from the ports? The PostgreSQL
client and server are separate ports on FreeBSD. If I recall correctly,
the updated client typically isn't handled as a dependency when the
server is updated, so you would likely have to handle them separately.

Mel Peterson
R&D Engineer
melissa@gigacrete.com
GigaCrete, Inc.
6775 Speedway Boulevard, Suite M-104
Las Vegas, NV  89115
Phone 702-643-6363
Fax 702-543-7010
www.gigacrete.com

B U I L D  S T R O N G.  B U I L D  F O R W A R D.

This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient
and may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you are not
the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of
the information included in this message and any attachments is strictly
notify us by reply email and immediately and permanently delete this