Обсуждение: New postgres installation

New postgres installation

От
Carol Walter
Дата:
Hello,

I want to do a new installation of postgres.  I have version 8.2.3 and I want to go to 8.3.3.  The postgres documentation says that the default location for the installation is /usr/local/pgsql.  My installation has obviously been customized because I have no such path on my system.  The documentation also says you can customize the location by including prefix = PREFIX in the ./configuration file.  Is there a way I can tell what this customization was?  There are several directories that contain many of the same files.  I have several installations of postgres running on different servers.  If this is anything like everything else I've seen there, quite possibly, is a different customization for each server.

Thank you very much,

Carol Walter

Re: New postgres installation

От
Steve Crawford
Дата:
Carol Walter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to do a new installation of postgres.  I have version 8.2.3 and
> I want to go to 8.3.3.  The postgres documentation says that the
> default location for the installation is /usr/local/pgsql.  My
> installation has obviously been customized because I have no such path
> on my system.  The documentation also says you can customize the
> location by including prefix = */PREFIX/* in the ./configuration file.
>  Is there a way I can tell what this customization was?  There are
> several directories that contain many of the same files.  I have
> several installations of postgres running on different servers.  If
> this is anything like everything else I've seen there, quite possibly,
> is a different customization for each server.
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Carol Walter

What OS?

How do you plan to install (source?, package-manager?)

Do you need to save data from old installation?

Do you have any client applications that need testing (or is this to
test them)? There are a few changes that could bite you (changes to
automatic casting and changed cluster syntax to name a couple).

Cheers,
Steve

Re: New postgres installation

От
Carol Walter
Дата:
I'm running Solaris 10.  I'm not sure whether I'd compile source or
use package manager.  I haven't done enough research to know which
one is right for us.  I will be migrating my old data into the new
version.  I don't have any client apps that need testing - yet.  In
fact, I don't have any client applications.  I'm in an academic
environment.  The databases I have on this server are largely student
creations.  There are two faculty research projects that are using
this but one of them is closed down for now, and they other is one
that I'm rewriting from ColdFusion to PHP, and it hasn't really
started yet.  That's part of my reason for wanting to do this now.
We are between the last summer session and the start of the fall
semester.  This upgrade will effect very few people at this time.  I
just really want to put this back where the earlier one was, if I
can.  The faculty have syllabi that have paths and links in them that
will confuse the students if things aren't where they expect.

Carol

On Aug 14, 2008, at 3:34 PM, Steve Crawford wrote:

> Carol Walter wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to do a new installation of postgres.  I have version 8.2.3
>> and I want to go to 8.3.3.  The postgres documentation says that
>> the default location for the installation is /usr/local/pgsql.  My
>> installation has obviously been customized because I have no such
>> path on my system.  The documentation also says you can customize
>> the location by including prefix = */PREFIX/* in the ./
>> configuration file.  Is there a way I can tell what this
>> customization was?  There are several directories that contain
>> many of the same files.  I have several installations of postgres
>> running on different servers.  If this is anything like everything
>> else I've seen there, quite possibly, is a different customization
>> for each server.
>> Thank you very much,
>>
>> Carol Walter
>>

> What OS?
>
> How do you plan to install (source?, package-manager?)
>
> Do you need to save data from old installation?
>
> Do you have any client applications that need testing (or is this
> to test them)? There are a few changes that could bite you (changes
> to automatic casting and changed cluster syntax to name a couple).
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Re: New postgres installation

От
Steve Crawford
Дата:
Carol Walter wrote:
> I'm running Solaris 10....
>>> I want to do a new installation of postgres.  I have version 8.2.3
>>> and I want to go to 8.3.3....
There are pre-compiled binaries for Solaris at:
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3.3/solaris/solaris10/

Within the appropriate architecture subdirectory, there is a README file
that may get you pointed in the correct direction.

Thus ends my expertise in installing PostgreSQL on Solaris 10. If you
get stuck, (bottom)post a reply and I'm sure someone with Solaris
expertise will jump in.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: New postgres installation

От
Carol Walter
Дата:
It been suggested that I download the binary and just go from there.
All the documentation I've read says that for Unix installations
should compile source.  Would using the binary allow me to do the
customization my site requires.  I want to put the database in it's
original location so that faculty won't have to change they're
instructions to students.

Carol

PS  Again, My OS is Solaris 10.

On Aug 14, 2008, at 5:21 PM, Reed Loefgren wrote:

> Carol Walter wrote:
>> I'm running Solaris 10.  I'm not sure whether I'd compile source
>> or use package manager.  I haven't done enough research to know
>> which one is right for us.  I will be migrating my old data into
>> the new version.  I don't have any client apps that need testing -
>> yet.  In fact, I don't have any client applications.  I'm in an
>> academic environment.  The databases I have on this server are
>> largely student creations.  There are two faculty research
>> projects that are using this but one of them is closed down for
>> now, and they other is one that I'm rewriting from ColdFusion to
>> PHP, and it hasn't really started yet.  That's part of my reason
>> for wanting to do this now.  We are between the last summer
>> session and the start of the fall semester.  This upgrade will
>> effect very few people at this time.  I just really want to put
>> this back where the earlier one was, if I can.  The faculty have
>> syllabi that have paths and links in them that will confuse the
>> students if things aren't where they expect.
>>
>> Carol

>>> What OS?
>>>
>>> How do you plan to install (source?, package-manager?)
>>>
>>> Do you need to save data from old installation?
>>>
>>> Do you have any client applications that need testing (or is this
>>> to test them)? There are a few changes that could bite you
>>> (changes to automatic casting and changed cluster syntax to name
>>> a couple).
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Steve
>>>

> Carol,
>
> I have never run Solaris, but you can probably find a pre-compiled
> package of 8.3.3, and instructions on installing, over at
> www.blastwave.com (.org?) They support opensolaris but might be
> what you need anyway. That would cover the Solaris part, for the
> postgresql part you'll need to look to the mailing lists or on usenet.
>
> Good luck,

Re: New postgres installation

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 09:44 -0400, Carol Walter wrote:

> All the documentation I've read says that for Unix installations
> should compile source.

You're right. We should fix that so it also describes using pre-packaged
options also.

Re: New postgres installation

От
"H. Hall"
Дата:
Carol Walter wrote:
> It been suggested that I download the binary and just go from there.
> All the documentation I've read says that for Unix installations
> should compile source.  Would using the binary allow me to do the
> customization my site requires.  I want to put the database in it's
> original location so that faculty won't have to change they're
> instructions to students.
>
> Carol
I think that your main question is can you put PG in the directory of
your choice, if you compile.  The answer is yes.

If you look at chapter 15 of the Postgres Docs you will find this:
(here's the link:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/install-procedure.html )

15.5. Installation Procedure

Configuration

The first step of the installation procedure is to configure the source
tree for your system and choose the options you would like. This is done
by running the configure script. For a default installation simply enter

./configure

This script will run a number of tests to guess values for various
system dependent variables and detect some quirks of your operating
system, and finally will create several files in the build tree to
record what it found. (You can also run configure in a directory outside
the source tree if you want to keep the build directory separate.)

The default configuration will build the server and utilities, as well
as all client applications and interfaces that require only a C compiler.

All files will be installed under /usr/local/pgsql by default.

You can customize the build and installation process by supplying one or
more of the following command line options to configure:

--prefix=PREFIX

    Install all files under the directory PREFIX instead of
/usr/local/pgsql.

    The actual files will be installed into various subdirectories; no
files will ever be installed directly into the PREFIX directory.

- - - etc etc

You might also take a look at this:
Best Practices with PostgreSQL on Solaris
http://blogs.sun.com/jkshah/resource/pgsol_best_practices.pdf

cheers,
HH

--
H. Hall
ReedyRiver Group LLC

Re: New postgres installation

От
Steve Crawford
Дата:
H. Hall wrote:
> Carol Walter wrote:
>> It been suggested that I download the binary and just go from there.
>> All the documentation I've read says that for Unix installations
>> should compile source.  Would using the binary allow me to do the
>> customization my site requires.  I want to put the database in it's
>> original location so that faculty won't have to change they're
>> instructions to students.
>>
>> Carol
> I think that your main question is can you put PG in the directory of
> your choice, if you compile.  The answer is yes.

What student/faculty documentation includes the data directory location?
I can see that being important for system administration but user access
will be using a client via a local or network port - actual location of
the files won't make any difference. Same with administrative tools like
pg_dumpall. If file location is irrelevant to your users, you are free
to select your installation method regardless of that method's
file-location defaults.

But you do need to be careful about accidentally having mixed versions
of the client tools in different directories so that users could
inadvertently use the old versions of psql, pg_dump, etc.

(I did say "accidentally". If everyone is clued in, you can have
multiple versions of PG running on the same machine. If not, you will be
answering questions due to the unexpected behavior.)

Cheers,
Steve