Обсуждение: character varying exceeded

character varying exceeded

От
"Marc Fromm"
Дата:
WE have a db with a column/field of type "character varying" set to a
length of 1000. A user attempted to enter data into this column/field
breached the 1000 limit. When the user submitted the form the data was
not entered into the database and no error or message was displayed.

Is there a way to have postgresql let the user no the entry attempt was
declined? What is the best way to handle these situations?

Marc

Re: character varying exceeded

От
Chander Ganesan
Дата:
Marc Fromm wrote:
> WE have a db with a column/field of type "character varying" set to a
> length of 1000. A user attempted to enter data into this column/field
> breached the 1000 limit. When the user submitted the form the data was
> not entered into the database and no error or message was displayed.
>
> Is there a way to have postgresql let the user no the entry attempt was
> declined? What is the best way to handle these situations
PostgreSQL does indicate that the statement failed.  Chances are your
application code (that does the insert) is ignoring the error.  You
should check your application code to ensure that it's handling error
messages on insert failures correctly, and notifying the user as
appropriate.

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.

Re: character varying exceeded

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 08:19:56AM -0700, Marc Fromm wrote:

> breached the 1000 limit. When the user submitted the form the data was
> not entered into the database and no error or message was displayed.

I think your application is broken.  There was so an error message
generated.  It sounds like your application didn't catch it or display
it.

If you're using straight psql, then the problem is that
client_min_messages is set too high, and clients aren't seeing
errors.  That's surely a mistake.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104