Обсуждение: error message in PITR restore:

error message in PITR restore:

От
"Mark Steben"

Hi folks,

  I’m in the process of implementing PITR backups and restores and learning as I practice. I restored

 Using tar –xzf  (backup-name) followed by restarting postgres and having the server replay the logs.

  I used a recovery_target_time of 1 day prior to current_date  Postgres seems to come up OK but

  I get the following message over and over again in the serverlog:

      ERROR:  xlog flush request F/83462374 is not satisfied --- flushed only to F/82FFF0AC

     CONTEXT:  writing block 1242336 of relation 1663/16388/17696

  The logs that came into play in the replay are (in shorthand)

       80, 81, 82.   The log that was copied back into xlog was 83 prior to the restore.

 The relation in the error message points back to a table that was indeed being updated

 While the backup was being done.

When I attempt to do another backup I get an error that the checkpoint request failed.

Is there any way replay the restore to get out of this pickle, or do I start from scratch?

Fortunately this is a development server so I have the luxury of recopying production.

Mark Steben

Senior Database Administrator
@utoRevenue™
A Dominion Enterprises Company
480 Pleasant Street
Suite B200
Lee, MA 01238
413-243-4800 Home Office
413-243-4809 Corporate Fax

msteben@autorevenue.com

Visit our new website at
www.autorevenue.com

IMPORTANT: The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential and is intended only for the named addressee(s). If the reader of this e-mail message is not the intended recipient (or the individual responsible for the delivery of this e-mail message to the intended recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail message in error, please reply to the sender that you have received this e-mail message in error and then delete it.  Thank you.

Re: error message in PITR restore:

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 11:35 -0400, Mark Steben wrote:

>   I’m in the process of implementing PITR backups and restores and
> learning as I practice. I restored
>
>  Using tar –xzf  (backup-name) followed by restarting postgres and
> having the server replay the logs.
>
>   I used a recovery_target_time of 1 day prior to current_date
> Postgres seems to come up OK but

Did you use pg_start_backup()?

That sequence of events can occur if the backup_label file is missing,
since that won't constrain the stop point from being earlier than it
should be. Is there a backup_label file as part of the tar?

@utoRevenueT
A Dominion Enterprises Company
480 Pleasant Street
Suite B200
Lee, MA 01238
413-243-4800 Home Office
413-243-4809 Corporate Fax
msteben@autorevenue.com

Visit our new website at
www.autorevenue.com

IMPORTANT: The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential
and is intended only for the named addressee(s). If the reader of this
e-mail message is not the intended recipient (or the individual responsible
for the delivery of this e-mail message to the intended recipient), please
be advised that any re-use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
e-mail message is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail message in
error, please reply to the sender that you have received this e-mail message
in error and then delete it.  Thank you.

On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 11:35 -0400, Mark Steben wrote:

>   I'm in the process of implementing PITR backups and restores and
> learning as I practice. I restored
>
>  Using tar -xzf  (backup-name) followed by restarting postgres and
> having the server replay the logs.
>
>   I used a recovery_target_time of 1 day prior to current_date
> Postgres seems to come up OK but

Did you use pg_start_backup()?

That sequence of events can occur if the backup_label file is missing,
since that won't constrain the stop point from being earlier than it
should be. Is there a backup_label file as part of the tar?
[Mark Steben]

[Mark Steben]

 You may have hit on the issue.  I started a tar, then realized that I did
not do a 'start backup' so I cancelled the tar then issued the
'start_backup' and 'restarted' the tar.

Now when I issue another start-backup I get the 'checkpoint request failed'
error.

There is a 'backup_label_old' file as part of the data cluster but not
A backup_label.

Simon, I think you uncovered the problem but I don't see anyway around it
Short of reloading the db from a pg_dump backup.  Any suggestions would
Be appreciated.  Thanks,

Mark

Re: error message in PITR restore:

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 13:21 -0400, Mark Steben wrote:
> Simon, I think you uncovered the problem but I don't see anyway around
> it Short of reloading the db from a pg_dump backup.  Any suggestions
> would Be appreciated.  Thanks,

Re-run the backup? Sounds safest.

LDAP authentication

От
Evan Rempel
Дата:
I would like to use password authentication for most users, but LDAP authentication for the remaining ones users,
There will be no overlap of login names.

I do not really want to create an entry in the pg_hba.conf file for each login. What I would like is
something like

host    all     all             142.104.0.0/24        MD5
host    all     all             142.104.0.0/24        ldap...

in hopes that if the account can be authenticated by MD5 local postgresql accounts, then it is,
otherwise it will be authenticated by ldap.

Is this type of setup possible?

Evan Rempel.

Re: LDAP authentication

От
Evan Rempel
Дата:
Well, the list became very quiet on this question. Can anyone chime in with
suggestions to have some accounts authenticated by ldap and the remainder by MD5

Evan.

--
Evan Rempel

Re: LDAP authentication

Дата:
Evan Rempel wrote:
> Well, the list became very quiet on this question. Can anyone chime in with
> suggestions to have some accounts authenticated by ldap and the remainder by MD5

Create a group/role and list that in pg_hba.conf for each authentication
method.