Обсуждение: Postgres Performance

Postgres Performance

От
Aftab Alam

Dear All,

            I am using postgres 7.0 with linux with 15 GB of database & 3 gb of RAM.

Can anyone suggest what is the best setting for postgres. I am using postgres as web db.

Regards

aftab

This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other person and any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. TSR Darashaw Ltd. has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. TSR Darashaw Ltd. reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored on the TSR Darashaw Ltd's e-mail system.

Re: Postgres Performance

От
Steve Crawford
Дата:
Aftab Alam wrote:

> Dear All,
>

>             I am using postgres 7.0 with linux with 15 GB of database
> & 3 gb of RAM.
>
> Can anyone suggest what is the best setting for postgres. I am using
> postgres as web db.

I'm going to assume/hope that you mean 8.0. Even then, you would be well
advised to upgrade. 8.0 is over three years old and no amount of tuning
will make it as fast as the newer releases.

Then look at http://www.google.com/search?q=postgresql+tuning

The Varlena articles are good even if dated. After reading a few pages
and trying a bit of experimentation, check back with unanswered
questions. Nobody can recommend a "best setting" without a thorough
understanding of your workload. Or even if they do -
guidelines/suggestions is the best you will find.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: Postgres Performance

От
Steve Crawford
Дата:
 > I am using postgres 7.0 with linux with 15 GB of database &
 > 3 gb of RAM. Can anyone suggest what is the best setting
 > for postgres. I am using postgres as web db.

You mentioned elsewhere that you are getting 2,000 hits/day. I don't
know the nature of your web app but typical web apps involve pretty
simple transactions. Even with an average of 10 database transactions
per hit, your average is less than 0.25 TPS - several orders of
magnitude lower than the likely capacity of your hardware.

If you are experiencing performance problems I think that you may need
to look into more than the config file:

1. Are you vacuuming regularly? If not, you may need a vacuum full
followed by regular vacuuming.

2. Have you established appropriate indexes?

3. Are you running analyze to allow the planner to use the indexes you
created?

Cheers,
Steve

Re: Postgres Performance

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Aftab Alam <aalam@tsrdarashaw.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
>             I am using postgres 7.0 with linux with 15 GB of database & 3 gb
> of RAM.
>
> Can anyone suggest what is the best setting for postgres. I am using
> postgres as web db.

If you really are running 7.0 you need to look at upgrading.  That
version has known data eating  bugs that will not be fixed.