Обсуждение: migration of 7.4 to 8.1

migration of 7.4 to 8.1

От
"sathiya psql"
Дата:
Is there any article describing the migration database from postgresql 7.4 to 8.1

Re: migration of 7.4 to 8.1

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wednesday 12 March 2008 01:27, sathiya psql wrote:
> Is there any article describing the migration database from postgresql
> 7.4to 8.1

I don't know of any specific references, but the process is not fundementally
different from any other major version upgrade. You'll want to do a schema
only dump of your current database any load that into the 8.1 database. Once
you feel comfortable that this works ok, try a data only dump and load that
into the 8.1 server.  Once you comfortable all that works, you're ready to
upgrade.

I will note that if you're planning to upgrade, I'd recommend going stright to
8.3.  8.1 is a few years old, and 8.3 provides a number of features and
improvement you'll benefit from. Unless you have a strong reason to do
otherwise, go to 8.3. HTH.

--
Robert Treat

Re: migration of 7.4 to 8.1

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Robert Treat
<xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 March 2008 01:27, sathiya psql wrote:
>  > Is there any article describing the migration database from postgresql
>  > 7.4to 8.1
>
>  I don't know of any specific references, but the process is not fundementally
>  different from any other major version upgrade. You'll want to do a schema
>  only dump of your current database any load that into the 8.1 database. Once
>  you feel comfortable that this works ok, try a data only dump and load that
>  into the 8.1 server.  Once you comfortable all that works, you're ready to
>  upgrade.
>
>  I will note that if you're planning to upgrade, I'd recommend going stright to
>  8.3.  8.1 is a few years old, and 8.3 provides a number of features and
>  improvement you'll benefit from. Unless you have a strong reason to do
>  otherwise, go to 8.3. HTH.

And if the OP is worried about running too new a version of pgsql,
8.2.6 is very mature.  But if he's got 6 or more months until he goes
live, which is common, I'd recommend going to 8.3 which will be well
polished by then.

Re: migration of 7.4 to 8.1

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: migration of 7.4 to 8.1

От
Geoffrey
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 22:50:21 -0700
> "Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And if the OP is worried about running too new a version of pgsql,
>> 8.2.6 is very mature.  But if he's got 6 or more months until he goes
>> live, which is common, I'd recommend going to 8.3 which will be well
>> polished by then.
>>

> I would avoid 8.3 without extensive testing. 8.2.6 is likely a better
> shot a minimizing one off incompatibilities.

We are in a very similar situation in that we are looking to migrate
from 7.4 to 8.3.  So seeing Scott's and Joshua's responses, I'm not sure
if we should go with 8.2 or 8.3.

Joshua, are you disagreeing with Scott, or are you simply stating that
if one is moving from 7.4 to 8.3, you should do extensive testing?  We
do plan to do so, but I just want to make sure I understand your post.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin

Re: migration of 7.4 to 8.1

Дата:
Geoffrey <lists@serioustechnology.com> writes:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> I would avoid 8.3 without extensive testing. 8.2.6 is likely a better
>> shot a minimizing one off incompatibilities.

> We are in a very similar situation in that we are looking to migrate
> from 7.4 to 8.3.  So seeing Scott's and Joshua's responses, I'm not sure
> if we should go with 8.2 or 8.3.

7.4 to 8.2 isn't exactly a trivial jump either; there are enough
incompatibilities that could bite you if you don't test your
applications.  I don't think JD's argument above holds water.
What does hold water is the observation that 8.3 is still at 8.3.0
(though not for much longer) and has certainly got more bugs today
than recent 8.2.x releases.  That should equalize out by, say,
middle of the year.  So if you intend to go to production in the
next month or two then 8.2.x is a safer bet.  If your release
timeframe is a bit longer, then 8.3.x would be a good choice because
it will perform better and be supported longer.  You'd want to be
sure you were on 8.3.latest before going live of course.

            regards, tom lane

Re: migration of 7.4 to 8.1

От
Geoffrey
Tom Lane wrote:
> Geoffrey <lists@serioustechnology.com> writes:
>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> I would avoid 8.3 without extensive testing. 8.2.6 is likely a better
>>> shot a minimizing one off incompatibilities.
>
>> We are in a very similar situation in that we are looking to migrate
>> from 7.4 to 8.3.  So seeing Scott's and Joshua's responses, I'm not sure
>> if we should go with 8.2 or 8.3.
>
> 7.4 to 8.2 isn't exactly a trivial jump either; there are enough
> incompatibilities that could bite you if you don't test your
> applications.  I don't think JD's argument above holds water.
> What does hold water is the observation that 8.3 is still at 8.3.0
> (though not for much longer) and has certainly got more bugs today
> than recent 8.2.x releases.  That should equalize out by, say,
> middle of the year.  So if you intend to go to production in the
> next month or two then 8.2.x is a safer bet.  If your release
> timeframe is a bit longer, then 8.3.x would be a good choice because
> it will perform better and be supported longer.  You'd want to be
> sure you were on 8.3.latest before going live of course.

Thanks Tom, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for.  We know
we've got quite a bit of testing ahead of us with our move to 8.3, so I
suspect that by the time we go live, it will be 8.3.1 or more.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin

Re: migration of 7.4 to 8.1

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:04:27 -0400
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Geoffrey <lists@serioustechnology.com> writes:
> > Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >> I would avoid 8.3 without extensive testing. 8.2.6 is likely a
> >> better shot a minimizing one off incompatibilities.
>
> > We are in a very similar situation in that we are looking to
> > migrate from 7.4 to 8.3.  So seeing Scott's and Joshua's responses,
> > I'm not sure if we should go with 8.2 or 8.3.
>
> 7.4 to 8.2 isn't exactly a trivial jump either; there are enough
> incompatibilities that could bite you if you don't test your
> applications.  I don't think JD's argument above holds water.

7.4 to 8.2 is not a small jump. You are correct Tom. However, as
someone who is actively in the field doing these migrations, I can tell
you that 7.4 to 8.2 is a smaller jump. If nothing else it will avoid
the casting issues which can be a large burden on a small to medium
shop to go through and fix.

8.3 changed a lot of things. We are still observing (in production) all
the changes that must be made procedurally to make it work correctly
(like the way autovacuum will just quit if it runs into a lock it
doesn't like).

> What does hold water is the observation that 8.3 is still at 8.3.0
> (though not for much longer) and has certainly got more bugs today
> than recent 8.2.x releases.  That should equalize out by, say,
> middle of the year.  So if you intend to go to production in the
> next month or two then 8.2.x is a safer bet.  If your release
> timeframe is a bit longer, then 8.3.x would be a good choice because
> it will perform better and be supported longer.  You'd want to be
> sure you were on 8.3.latest before going live of course.

If the have the time and resources to do extensive testing over the
course of the next 3-4 months, then yes I would agree that 8.3 is a
reasonable solution.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>             regards, tom lane

- --
      PostgreSQL political pundit | Mocker of Dolphins

Re: migration of 7.4 to 8.1

От
Enrico
Дата:
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:17:59 -0400
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 March 2008 01:27, sathiya psql wrote:
> > Is there any article describing the migration database from
> > postgresql 7.4to 8.1

Some time ago I wrote :
http://www.enricopirozzi.info/index.php?/archives/36-Postgresql-dump-from-7x-to-8.x-version.html

I hope that it can help you :)

Regards
Enrico

--
One small feel for man, one giant ass for mankind (Dr. Gregory House)

Enrico Pirozzi
Web: http://www.enricopirozzi.info
E-Mail: info@enricopirozzi.info
Skype: sscotty71