Обсуждение: pg_ctl reload query

pg_ctl reload query

От
Shilpa Sudhakar
Дата:
Hi All,

Wanted to know what does pg_ctl do in the background when we run *pg_ctl
-D datadir reload *

After modifying the entries in pg_hba.conf file we ran the reload
command. Generally, it just reloads the files and everything works fine.
But strangely, last time when we ran the reload command and tried to
access *psql dbname, *
It gives a message *"database shutting down" *

As far as i know, this msg appears only when a restart command is given.

Please let me know if my understanding is right and what could have gone
wrong for the db to shutdown.

Thanks and Regards,
Shilpa

*

*

Re: pg_ctl reload query

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 04:01:00PM +1030, Shilpa Sudhakar wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Wanted to know what does pg_ctl do in the background when we run *pg_ctl
> -D datadir reload *

It sends a SIGHUP to the back end.

> command. Generally, it just reloads the files and everything works fine.
> But strangely, last time when we ran the reload command and tried to
> access *psql dbname, *
> It gives a message *"database shutting down" *

Are you sure you didn't issue "restart" instead?  It's an easy enough
mistake to make.

Re: pg_ctl reload query

От
Shilpa Sudhakar
Дата:
Thanks for the reply.

I am sure i didn't issue the restart command. i only did the reload.

I'll find out from my other team mates if they issued any restart
command by mistake.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Shilpa