Обсуждение: Block Read Error: Success?

Block Read Error: Success?

От
"Thomas F. O'Connell"
Дата:
A few days ago, we began seeing this error in our logs:

ERROR:  could not read block [redacted] of relation [redacted]: Success

I've encountered "could not read block" errors in other databases in the past, but have never witnessed the "Success" tag at the end. What does that mean?

The error went unnoticed until, ultimately, significant parts of a database-driven website were not able to be read. Backups had been collected for days using pg_dump (which is configured to output SQL), and we were able to restore from a backup created earlier on the day that the content became unavailable. After restoration from backup, we haven't seen the errors again.

We're running 8.0.13 on FC3. Is there any reason not to suspect the hardware at this point?

--
Thomas F. O'Connell

optimizing modern web applications
: for search engines, for usability, and for performance :

615-260-0005

Re: Block Read Error: Success?

Дата:
"Thomas F. O'Connell" <tf@o.ptimized.com> writes:
> A few days ago, we began seeing this error in our logs:
> ERROR:  could not read block [redacted] of relation [redacted]: Success

> I've encountered "could not read block" errors in other databases in
> the past, but have never witnessed the "Success" tag at the end. What
> does that mean?

What this means is a read past EOF --- that is, read() returned fewer
bytes than requested (perhaps none at all) but did not signal an error.
A potential ultimate cause is corrupt indexes that contain pointers
leading past the end of the table.  Which sounds a whole lot like the
VACUUM bug fixed in 8.0.14 and other recent releases.

> We're running 8.0.13 on FC3. Is there any reason not to suspect the
> hardware at this point?

I'd question your choice of platform --- FC3 went EOL quite some time
ago.

            regards, tom lane