Обсуждение: backup of postgres scheduled with cron

backup of postgres scheduled with cron

От
"Sorin N. Ciolofan"
Дата:
Hello all!

I've a small bash script backup.sh for creating dumps on my Postgre db:

    #!/bin/bash
    time=`date '+%d'-'%m'-'%y'`
    cd /home/swkm/services/test
      pg_dump mydb > mydb_dump_$time.out

I've edited crontab and added a line:

00 4 * * * swkm /home/swkm/services/test/backup.sh

to execute the backup.sh as user swkm daily at 4 am.

The user swkm is the user I use to create backups manually. The script
itself is executed fine if run manually but run on cron scheduler I got an
mydb_dump_$time.out file empty (of 0 kb)

Do you have any idea about what's wrong?

Thanks
Sorin

Re: backup of postgres scheduled with cron

От
"Marco Bizzarri"
Дата:
On Nov 22, 2007 2:19 PM, Sorin N. Ciolofan <ciolofan@ics.forth.gr> wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I've a small bash script backup.sh for creating dumps on my Postgre db:
>
>         #!/bin/bash
>         time=`date '+%d'-'%m'-'%y'`
>         cd /home/swkm/services/test
>       pg_dump mydb > mydb_dump_$time.out
>
> I've edited crontab and added a line:
>
> 00 4 * * * swkm /home/swkm/services/test/backup.sh
>
> to execute the backup.sh as user swkm daily at 4 am.
>
> The user swkm is the user I use to create backups manually. The script
> itself is executed fine if run manually but run on cron scheduler I got an
> mydb_dump_$time.out file empty (of 0 kb)
>
> Do you have any idea about what's wrong?
>
> Thanks
> Sorin

Hi Sorin,

why don't you add a "MAILTO=<youraddress>" at the start of your
crontab file, so that you can receive a report of the problem?

Regards
Marco

--
Marco Bizzarri
http://iliveinpisa.blogspot.com/

Re: backup of postgres scheduled with cron

От
"Sorin N. Ciolofan"
Дата:
Hi Marco!

Thank you for the advice.

I got:

/home/swkm/services/test/backup.sh: line 4: pg_dump: command not found
updating: mydb_dump_22-11-07.out (stored 0%)

which seems strange

                http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Re: backup of postgres scheduled with cron

От
"Marco Bizzarri"
Дата:
On Nov 22, 2007 2:46 PM, Sorin N. Ciolofan <ciolofan@ics.forth.gr> wrote:
> Hi Marco!
>
> Thank you for the advice.
>
> I got:
>
> /home/swkm/services/test/backup.sh: line 4: pg_dump: command not found
> updating: mydb_dump_22-11-07.out (stored 0%)
>
> which seems strange

Try putting the full path of the pg_dump command in the script.

Regards
Marco

--
Marco Bizzarri
http://iliveinpisa.blogspot.com/

Re: backup of postgres scheduled with cron

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 02:28:08PM +0100, Marco Bizzarri wrote:

> why don't you add a "MAILTO=<youraddress>" at the start of your
> crontab file, so that you can receive a report of the problem?

Note: check that your cron accepts such an addition.  Many systems now use
Vixie's cron, which does accept that, but some don't.  It's a nice feature,
and good for this purpose.

Andrew Sullivan
Old sigs will return after re-constitution of blue smoke

Re: backup of postgres scheduled with cron

От
"Marco Bizzarri"
Дата:
On Nov 22, 2007 2:53 PM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 02:28:08PM +0100, Marco Bizzarri wrote:
> >
> > why don't you add a "MAILTO=<youraddress>" at the start of your
> > crontab file, so that you can receive a report of the problem?
>
> Note: check that your cron accepts such an addition.  Many systems now use
> Vixie's cron, which does accept that, but some don't.  It's a nice feature,
> and good for this purpose.

Andrew, can you confirm the previous statement? I'm checking on a Debian Linux,
at it seems to be a Vixie Cron, and that feature is described in the man page...

> Andrew Sullivan
> Old sigs will return after re-constitution of blue smoke

Regards
Marco

--
Marco Bizzarri
http://iliveinpisa.blogspot.com/

Re: [GENERAL] backup of postgres scheduled with cron

От
Frank Wittig
Дата:
Hello Sorin!

Sorin N. Ciolofan wrote:

>     #!/bin/bash
>     time=`date '+%d'-'%m'-'%y'`
>     cd /home/swkm/services/test
>       pg_dump mydb > mydb_dump_$time.out

You should output STDERR to some error logfile or set MAILTO in your
crontab.
I guess you then would have seen an error message saying that pg_dump
was not found because cron doesn't load the users environment and
therefore PATH variable isn't set.
I suggest you call pg_dump in your script by absolute path.

Greetings,
Frank Wittig

Вложения

Re: backup of postgres scheduled with cron

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 02:59:33PM +0100, Marco Bizzarri wrote:
> Andrew, can you confirm the previous statement? I'm checking on a Debian Linux,
> at it seems to be a Vixie Cron, and that feature is described in the man page...

If the feature's in your man page, then it works on your system :)  I just
wanted to warn you that this isn't an original feature of cron, so you have
to check your system always to be sure you have it.

Andrew Sullivan
Old sigs will return after re-constitution of blue smoke

Re: [GENERAL] backup of postgres scheduled with cron

От
"Sorin N. Ciolofan"
Дата:
Thank you all,

Yes, I used the absolute path in my script and now works ok :-)

Thank you again
Sorin

You should output STDERR to some error logfile or set MAILTO in your
crontab.
I guess you then would have seen an error message saying that pg_dump
was not found because cron doesn't load the users environment and
therefore PATH variable isn't set.
I suggest you call pg_dump in your script by absolute path.

Greetings,
Frank Wittig

Re: [GENERAL] backup of postgres scheduled with cron

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 09:14:13AM -0500, Martin Gainty wrote:

> Good Morning AndrewI noticed the Vixie cron responds to SIGHUP signalsDo
> you have any suggestions or tutorials on how Postgres would feed these
> event signals to Vixie cron?

Why would Postgres have to tell crond to restart?

Andrew Sullivan
Old sigs will return after re-constitution of blue smoke

Re: [GENERAL] backup of postgres scheduled with cron

От
Martin Gainty
Дата:
Good Morning Andrew

I noticed the Vixie cron responds to SIGHUP signals
Do you have any suggestions or tutorials on how Postgres would feed these event signals to Vixie cron?

Thanks/
Martin

Disclaimer and confidentiality note