Обсуждение: Error when trying to recover from filesystem backup

Error when trying to recover from filesystem backup

От
"Juan Miguel Paredes"
Дата:
Hi, folks!

Due to a hardware (hard disk) problem, we've tried to restore a
postgresql filesystem backup (taken from what was left on the drive)
to a fresh Postgresql install (as stated in
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/backup-file.html),
checking the appropiate ownership, privileges, etc. But when trying to
start Postgresql with the recovered location, we get the following
error:

" * Error: The server must be started under the locale : which does
not exist any more."

Note that the message doesn't say which locale is (allegedly)
missing!!!  Both the crashed and the recovery machines have exactly
the same locales, Postgresql version, etc (Debian Etch standard with
postgresql-8.1 from main repositories), which makes the message a
little confusing.  Google didn't help much, either (I've found
http://www.pg-forum.de/konfiguration/888-umzug-des-ordners-pgdata-auf-anderen-server.html
but can't really understand german).

Any hints to where should we look will be greatly appreciated!

Re: Error when trying to recover from filesystem backup

Дата:
"Juan Miguel Paredes" <juan.paredes@gmail.com> writes:
> ... But when trying to
> start Postgresql with the recovered location, we get the following
> error:

> " * Error: The server must be started under the locale : which does
> not exist any more."

There is no such message text in the standard Postgres distribution.
I suppose this is another example of Debian's packager trying to be
helpful.  You might try looking through the startup script to see
what it's testing exactly.

As far as what PG itself thinks the locale should be, pg_controldata
would tell you ...

            regards, tom lane