Обсуждение: Using rsync for base backups for PITR

Using rsync for base backups for PITR

От
"Scott Whitney"
Дата:
I'm reading conflicting information on this. Is this a supported technique?

start_backup
rsync the initial base backup
stop_backup

Then, periodically,
start_backup
rsync again
stop_backup

It's my opinion that this wouuld significantly cut down the 30GB base backup
I'll need to take for each PITR.

Re: Using rsync for base backups for PITR

Дата:
Scott Whitney wrote:
> I'm reading conflicting information on this. Is this a supported technique?
>
> start_backup
> rsync the initial base backup
> stop_backup
>
> Then, periodically,
> start_backup
> rsync again
> stop_backup
>
> It's my opinion that this wouuld significantly cut down the 30GB base backup
> I'll need to take for each PITR.

Uh, well, yes, that will work, but you don't have a valid archive
_while_ the rsync is happening.  I think that would be a problem if
there was a failure during the rsync update.

Re: Using rsync for base backups for PITR

От
"Scott Whitney"
Дата:
In the same way that you don't have a valid archive while the tar is
running, no? In either case, I have to archive the WAL segments used during
the file system backup, right?

Is rsync a supported method for a warm standby server? Specifically, I'm
thinking about:
http://www.taygeta.com/ha-postgresql.html

> I'm reading conflicting information on this. Is this a supported
technique?

> start_backup
> rsync the initial base backup
> stop_backup
>
> Then, periodically,
> start_backup
> rsync again
> stop_backup
>
> It's my opinion that this wouuld significantly cut down the 30GB base
backup
> I'll need to take for each PITR.

Uh, well, yes, that will work, but you don't have a valid archive
_while_ the rsync is happening.  I think that would be a problem if
there was a failure during the rsync update.

Re: Using rsync for base backups for PITR

Дата:
Scott Whitney wrote:
> In the same way that you don't have a valid archive while the tar is
> running, no? In either case, I have to archive the WAL segments used during
> the file system backup, right?

Well, with the tar I assume you still have the old tar around.  This is
not true with the rsync update you suggested.

> Is rsync a supported method for a warm standby server? Specifically, I'm
> thinking about:
> http://www.taygeta.com/ha-postgresql.html

Well, the standby is fine while the rsync is not runing, but while
syncing that backup has an inconsistent view of the database.  PITR
works only because the PITR logs fix up any consistencies.  The rsync is
not the same as a file system snapshot.

Re: Using rsync for base backups for PITR

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 11:46 -0500, Scott Whitney wrote:

> Is rsync a supported method for a warm standby server? Specifically, I'm
> thinking about:
> http://www.taygeta.com/ha-postgresql.html

That's dated 2001...

--