Обсуждение: socket file missing

socket file missing

От
nus4u@gmx.net
Дата:
Hi,

i compiled postres 8.2.4, create a user and a database without an error.
I copied a startup skript to the init.d directory and make a chkconfig postgres. After that starting the database was
noproblem.
Today i restarted the whole PC and everything seems to be ok, the postgres server started and accepted connections via
TCP.
BUT : I could not connect via psql for example.
Message :
> Warning: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: could not connect to server: No such file or directory Is the server
runninglocally and accepting connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

There was no file in the /tmp Directory !
I make a restart via the init skript and then everything was ok!
Again i restarted the whole PC and again the socket file was missing and a restarting via the init skript helps.

->Every Time i restart the socket file is missing !

I decrease the logs but could not find any error message !

Any hints why the socket is missing when i restart the PC ?
How can i solve this problem ?

Thanks for Help
Chris

Re: socket file missing

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On 9/14/07, nus4u@gmx.net <nus4u@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> BUT : I could not connect via psql for example.
> Message :
> > Warning: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: could not connect to server: No such file or directory Is the
serverrunning locally and accepting connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

> There was no file in the /tmp Directory !
> I make a restart via the init skript and then everything was ok!
> Again i restarted the whole PC and again the socket file was missing and a restarting via the init skript helps.

Sounds like postgresql is being started, and then the /tmp directory
is being cleared of old files by your OS.  What's the Sxx number on
the startup file in /etc/init.d/rcx.d that you're using (assuming SYSV
init)

Re: socket file missing

От
nus4u@gmx.net
Дата:
> Sounds like postgresql is being started, and then the /tmp directory
> is being cleared of old files by your OS.  What's the Sxx number on
> the startup file in /etc/init.d/rcx.d that you're using (assuming SYSV
> init)

Thanks Scott !

I change the location of the socket file and it isn t deleted anymore !
Until now i am not quite sure which script deletes the socket files, i
guess it is "tmpwatch" which is called from cron.hourly, but disabling
and restarting didn t solve the problem.
In rc3.d it has the Numer S96postgres, after this script only
sendmail,rhnsd,haldaemon,messagebus and local are executed, but
none of them will delete tmp files.
Any idea which and where the script is started who deletes tmp files ?
System is a Red Hat ES 4 !

Bye
Chris

Re: socket file missing

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On 9/14/07, nus4u@gmx.net <nus4u@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Sounds like postgresql is being started, and then the /tmp directory
> > is being cleared of old files by your OS.  What's the Sxx number on
> > the startup file in /etc/init.d/rcx.d that you're using (assuming SYSV
> > init)
>
> Thanks Scott !
>
> I change the location of the socket file and it isn t deleted anymore !
> Until now i am not quite sure which script deletes the socket files, i
> guess it is "tmpwatch" which is called from cron.hourly, but disabling
> and restarting didn t solve the problem.
> In rc3.d it has the Numer S96postgres, after this script only
> sendmail,rhnsd,haldaemon,messagebus and local are executed, but
> none of them will delete tmp files.
> Any idea which and where the script is started who deletes tmp files ?
> System is a Red Hat ES 4 !

On my laptop running fc4, there's this line in rc.sysinit:

rc.sysinit:rm -f /tmp/.X*-lock /tmp/.lock.* /tmp/.gdm_socket /tmp/.s.PGSQL.*

If your startup script runs before a line like that one above, you'd
get the kind of failure you're talking about.