Обсуждение: pg_catalog.pg_roles DESTROYED?

pg_catalog.pg_roles DESTROYED?

От
Ralph Smith
Дата:
I'm preparing to upgrade a 7.4.7 DB to 8.2.4.
I just got connectivity from new to old (different hosts), and being
a newhire and no-one had ever done any maintenance on the old DB, I
connected as joe-user to the old DB using the client of the new.
(joe-user is the owner of the DB)

I  did some analyze and vacuum-ing on two tables.
The last thing I did there was
 >vacuum full verbose tablename;
I did it twice to see the differing results.
It was HUGE and now is smaller.

I next tried to do a \dt and suddenly....

    airburst=> \dt
    ERROR:  relation "pg_catalog.pg_roles" does not exist

None of the \d - commands work.

Only if I go in as PG super can I avoid that error.  (Going in
locally after logging into that box.)

I'm new to PG myself, so I'd appreciate it if I had some hand-holding.

Thank you!
Ralph Smith

Re: pg_catalog.pg_roles DESTROYED?

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Ralph Smith wrote:

> I'm preparing to upgrade a 7.4.7 DB to 8.2.4.
> I just got connectivity from new to old (different hosts), and being
> a newhire and no-one had ever done any maintenance on the old DB, I
> connected as joe-user to the old DB using the client of the new.
> (joe-user is the owner of the DB)
>
> I  did some analyze and vacuum-ing on two tables.
> The last thing I did there was
>  >vacuum full verbose tablename;
> I did it twice to see the differing results.
> It was HUGE and now is smaller.
>
> I next tried to do a \dt and suddenly....
>
>     airburst=> \dt
>     ERROR:  relation "pg_catalog.pg_roles" does not exist

Which version of psql were you using?  psql doesn't really have good
support for backslash commands where the server and client are of mixed
versions -- for example, an 8.2.x psql will look for system tables that
didn't exist in 7.4.x.

Re: pg_catalog.pg_roles DESTROYED?

От
"Phillip Smith"
Дата:
Sounds like you're using a newer version of psql to connect to the older
host.

psql 8.2.4 would throw up errors like that when connecting to a 7.4.7 box -
when you login to the old box, then run psql, you would be running the old
version of psql and hence the error disappears.

Cheers,
~p

I'm preparing to upgrade a 7.4.7 DB to 8.2.4.
I just got connectivity from new to old (different hosts), and being
a newhire and no-one had ever done any maintenance on the old DB, I
connected as joe-user to the old DB using the client of the new.
(joe-user is the owner of the DB)

I  did some analyze and vacuum-ing on two tables.
The last thing I did there was
 >vacuum full verbose tablename;
I did it twice to see the differing results.
It was HUGE and now is smaller.

I next tried to do a \dt and suddenly....

    airburst=> \dt
    ERROR:  relation "pg_catalog.pg_roles" does not exist

None of the \d - commands work.

Only if I go in as PG super can I avoid that error.  (Going in
locally after logging into that box.)

I'm new to PG myself, so I'd appreciate it if I had some hand-holding.

Thank you!
Ralph Smith

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

*******************Confidentiality and Privilege Notice*******************

The material contained in this message is privileged and confidential to
the addressee.  If you are not the addressee indicated in this message or
responsible for delivery of the message to such person, you may not copy
or deliver this message to anyone, and you should destroy it and kindly
notify the sender by reply email.

Information in this message that does not relate to the official business
of Weatherbeeta must be treated as neither given nor endorsed by Weatherbeeta.
Weatherbeeta, its employees, contractors or associates shall not be liable
for direct, indirect or consequential loss arising from transmission of this
message or any attachments

THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT - Save paper if you don't really need to print this
e-mail.

Re: pg_catalog.pg_roles DESTROYED?

От
Ralph Smith
Дата:
On Aug 2, 2007, at 5:26 PM, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Ralph Smith wrote:
>
>> I'm preparing to upgrade a 7.4.7 DB to 8.2.4.
>> I just got connectivity from new to old (different hosts), and being
>> a newhire and no-one had ever done any maintenance on the old DB, I
>> connected as joe-user to the old DB using the client of the new.
>> (joe-user is the owner of the DB)
>>
>> I  did some analyze and vacuum-ing on two tables.
>> The last thing I did there was
>>> vacuum full verbose tablename;
>> I did it twice to see the differing results.
>> It was HUGE and now is smaller.
>>
>> I next tried to do a \dt and suddenly....
>>
>>     airburst=> \dt
>>     ERROR:  relation "pg_catalog.pg_roles" does not exist
>
> Which version of psql were you using?  psql doesn't really have good
> support for backslash commands where the server and client are of
> mixed
> versions -- for example, an 8.2.x psql will look for system tables
> that
> didn't exist in 7.4.x.

A big sigh of relief!
Actually on the way home last night I thought I ought to try as joe-
user locally on that box, but your (plural) comments were nice to
read before I got here to test it out myself.

Thank you both,
Ralph