Обсуждение: Question about fixes and updates

Question about fixes and updates

От
"Srinivas Kotapally"
Дата:
Hi All,

I just wanted to know if the patches that are applied to Postgres are back ported to earlier versions?  For example, I run the last stable release in version 8.1... 8.1.9?  Do I need to upgrade to 8.2.x to benefit from the patches? Or is there a latest 8.1.9 binary that I can download and refresh my installation?  Please advise.

Regards

Srini
============================
Srinivas Kotapally

111 Presidential Boulevard Suite 246
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004

Phone: +1 610 747 0341
Fax: +1 610 747 0343
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. It is intended only for the use of the person(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Visit us at
www.enjbiz.com
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Re: Question about fixes and updates

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 06:20:14AM -0400, Srinivas Kotapally wrote:
> I just wanted to know if the patches that are applied to Postgres are back
> ported to earlier versions?  For example, I run the last stable release in
> version 8.1... 8.1.9?  Do I need to upgrade to 8.2.x to benefit from the
> patches? Or is there a latest 8.1.9 binary that I can download and refresh my
> installation?  Please advise.

Bug fixes are typically backpatched to earlier releases if the fix
isn't too invasive.  However, to get those fixes you'll need to
build from the latest CVS source or wait until the next minor
release.  I don't know if anybody builds "8.1.9 + latest patches"
packages.

If you're curious about a particular fix then see the Release Notes
for the latest release in the branch you're running (e.g., 8.1.9
for the 8.1 branch) or search the pgsql-committers archives:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/

Commits to back branches will show a tag like REL8_1_STABLE.

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: Question about fixes and updates

От
Decibel!
Дата:
On Jul 30, 2007, at 3:20 AM, Srinivas Kotapally wrote:
> I just wanted to know if the patches that are applied to Postgres
> are back ported to earlier versions?  For example, I run the last
> stable release in version 8.1... 8.1.9?  Do I need to upgrade to
> 8.2.x to benefit from the patches? Or is there a latest 8.1.9
> binary that I can download and refresh my installation?  Please
> advise.

Only bugfixes are backported, depending on the severity of the bug
and how hard it is to fix in older versions. Security issues are also
backpatched. If you look for threads of messages in pgsql-commit,
that will give you an idea of what gets backported (though often
threads are just discussions; you may have to hunt to find some
backpatching ones).
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org